Potato spraying

• 9 Replies

ricky

Potato spraying
« on: October 01, 2018, 21:00 »
Hi folks can anyone tell me has the potato blight passed for the year or should I keep spraying cheers. Ricky

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato spraying
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 21:50 »
I don't know whether it's gone or not, and won't ask what you are spraying with, because there aren't any fungicides that gardeners can legally use against potato blight.
RHS says
Chemical Control : There are currently no fungicides available for use by gardeners against blight on potatoes or tomatoes.

ricky

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:53 »
Mumofstig , I'm using dithane which is perfectly legal I go to my local farmers store here in n. Ireland and buy it by the kilo , that's what all the farmers and gardeners use over here  , anyone can buy it on eBay, what do you guy in the rest of the UK use to deter blight there has to be something.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:03 »
The way I understand it,  Dithane is still available for Farmers to use, but not for gardeners without the appropriate training/equipment.

AS the RHS says gardeners have nothing legally available to use.

ricky

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:33 »
I'm out in the sticks here Mumofstig and everyone knows me so it's easy to purchase .

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:40 »
To answer your question, the potato leaves will be dying off now so spraying won't do any good.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 13:15 »
I think perhaps you should lift your potatoes and store them now before the slugs have a taste of each one  :ohmy:

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 16:21 »
Don't write the potatoes off just yet Goosegirl! The suprise ones growing out of my compost heap are still in full flower and the late planted Christmas pots are only just getting going!

In answer to Rickys Qs, as an organic gardener I just accept that sometimes I'll lose crops. There is still tomato blight on our site, so one could only assume the potatoes are at risk too but the climate down here in SE England is probably massively different to yours. Good luck!

ricky

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 21:26 »
DHM I have alot of blight over here n. Ireland altho this year I haven't seen much but a year ago blight hit my tunnel wiped out my blight resistant tomatoes  200 odd plants mountain magic all gone the blight seems to mutate and change  over alot I've tried every type of blight resistant tomato the one that seems to do the best is ferline , as for potatoes I've had sarpo mira great resistance to blight but taste awful  so I grow things that taste nice not for their resilience to blight thanks for your reply . Ricky

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 07:31 »
Yeah me too. I lost 14 tomato plants to late blight this year (not quite the 200 you do!) and it's really soul destroying when you wait 2 months for them to ripen then they start rotting on the vine. I can't offer any blight protection for mine but this still wouldn't make me go for disease resistance over flavour. Flavour wins every time otherwise why would we do this in the 1st place? Hoping my Toms fare better next year, I'm still going to plant the same types regardless! Before I got this plot I used to grow potatoes in bags and so far have never had potato blight but you never know. Good luck with yours.

xx
Spraying edibles

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 30, 2023, 07:06
by Gleavo
xx
Spraying peas?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 21:54
by WG.
xx
spraying brassicas

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 17:02
by JayG
xx
spraying new plot

Started by razzmick on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 16:41
by arugula

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.