Swede varieties / shading advice please

• 5 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Swede varieties / shading advice please
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:17 »
Morning folks, just taken on an allotment the weekend before last so trying to get a few things in as I'm clearing it. I will not be using any chemicals on this plot.

Obviously now's a good time to sow swedes but having narrowed it down to 2 varieties, I can't decide whether to sow Marion or Brora. Anyone recommend one over the other? Do both offer similar disease resistance?

Also, my plot is totally exposed; in full sun with no shade, and being in the South of England it can get really got. Will the mesh I cover the plants with provide enough shade or should I take additional measures?

Many thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Swede varieties / shading advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:31 »
I grow Marian or Tweed swede, both grow well being clubroot resistant, which helps here, I don't know about Brora.

I don't net or cover my swede plants at all as they don't seem to attract pests like the other brassicas. I don't think they need any shade, but they do need to be well watered in order to make a decent size. Chicken manure pellets at planting time helps as well :)

Good luck with them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:31 by mumofstig »

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:43 »
Cheers mumofstig. My friends have hens, could I use their manure or would the pellets be better?

lettice

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45 »
I do not grow Swede Myself, but do swap through the year with my neighbour.
Just popped round to ask him.
He has grown Marian for decades and it has always been reliable. But last few years has also grown Lomond. He buys the seed fro Seekay.
Its very similar to Marian but we all reckon the flavour and shape is so much better.
He grows his swede in long rows uncovered, but says to keep them moist and weed hoed throughout the growing year. Start picking some from Autumn but leave them in the ground till Feb. Both those are a reliable cropper, a good over winter crop and will cope with a mild frost.
End Feb he puts them in a box full of sand in a dark/cool outside shed and they are fresh through the summer.

As for shade. I live on the sunny south coast and have never had shade problems with any veg or fruit crops.
Only thing I'm careful with is tomatoes and cucumbers and watering the pot and not the leaves to stop any scorching. 

Edit: Forgot about its needs. The plot should have manure dug in a few months before they are planted as manure at seed time will fork the plants and produce poor uneven shaped swedes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:52 by lettice »

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:56 »
Thanks lettice, much appreciated. (",) I haven't heard of Lomond, I'll look 'em up.

The shading thing might not be necessary perhaps, just worried that they might suffer in the hot weather, last 2 weekends down here have been sweltering!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:10 »
Cheers mumofstig. My friends have hens, could I use their manure or would the pellets be better?

The manure would be ok if already well rotted and dug in prior to sowing or planting. I start mine in modules and put a small handful of pellets in the planting hole. Works for me ;)

xx
swede advice

Started by brianbishop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 14:25
by ryetek
xx
Swede advice please

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 08:20
by rideandy
xx
Growing Swede from plug plants & Sprouts advice

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 18:00
by DD.
xx
Asparagus advice and varieties

Started by Peas let my pumpkins grow on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 05:07
by Trillium

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 42 queries.