« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 10:24 »
Added some manure to the compost bin!
Cheers
Aled

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 20:17 »
Dropped off some green waste and put it in a compost bin.  Paddled around in the mud pacing out my planned extension to the fenced area and worked out how many posts I needed.

The soil was far too wet to do anything else, so came home and got on with some more pruning. 

Repotted my pink peppercorn bush, which has been surprisingly happy in the unheated greenhouse all winter.  Also knocked the mint out of its pot, cut off a likely chunk and repotted it.  Potted on Mountain Mint seedlings (a new herb for me) and Rakkyo seedlings (a Japanese multiplier onion).

Then went a bit wild and got the propagator out.  Sowed aubergines and peppers, then forced myself to stop.  Its all very well sowing seeds, but the windowsills are only so big  ::)  :nowink:  :lol:

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 10:39 »
just waiting for a load of horse muck to be delivered in the next hour  ready for  winter 2018/ spring 2019 its too fresh for using for this growing year- hows that for forward planning :lol:
worst bit is wheeling it uphill to my plot in the rain which im not looking forward to  :(

Eblana

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 10:58 »
Planted the strawberry plant back into the polytunnel and started tidying up the Dahlias.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 13:56 »
just waiting for a load of horse muck to be delivered in the next hour  ready for  winter 2018/ spring 2019 its too fresh for using for this growing year- hows that for forward planning :lol:
worst bit is wheeling it uphill to my plot in the rain which im not looking forward to  :(

All done it ended up as 32 bags, serious amount of straw in it so ive taken a chance and laid  4 bags on the onion bed  ( this equated to 3 inches deep)  and will cover with 4 inches of  compost and probably a serious dose of chicken pellets to make up for the possible nitrogen loss.

I will have another 30 plus bags in about a months time that then should be ample for  winter 2018/ spring 2019  no dig  beds, i must however extend my  compost pallets to hold all of this . so the next job is to beg or borrow three more pallets

snowdrops

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 22:39 »
Added 2 buckets of kitchen peelings to the compost bin,harvested.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 22:31 »
Reconstructed part of the path next to my neighbor over the weekend. I still have a large pile of soil at the bottom of the plot to make way for a swing. I also pruned the grapevines.

The New Year's Resolution of getting to the plot/doing something allotment related is going well. I've had to make this as my three year old and six month old have been a distraction these past couple of years. The plot looked so much better a few years ago  :D.

Beloved Porcupine

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 13:15 »
I am still recovering from the flu and a chest infection (three weeks!), so no going outside yet >:(

The sunshine was pulling on me however.  So I sat at the table and did a seed inventory and decided to try to use up some open packets by planting microgreens in some old takeaway boxes that were punched with holes.  Peas, kale, spinach, chard, radish, rocket, spring onion.  Will anything come of it?  Maybe...but I felt like I did something garden-y.   :D  Hopefully I'll have something to add to late winter salads.
I can resist anything except temptation.

Eblana

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 18:25 »
OH had the day off so we went and got the wood for the new raised carrot bed.  We got the first layer of it made and leveled off so the rest of the layer should go up very easily.  I did a bit of weeding as well.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 17:37 »

All done it ended up as 32 bags, serious amount of straw in it so ive taken a chance and laid  4 bags on the onion bed  ( this equated to 3 inches deep)  and will cover with 4 inches of  compost and probably a serious dose of chicken pellets to make up for the possible nitrogen loss.

I will have another 30 plus bags in about a months time that then should be ample for  winter 2018/ spring 2019  no dig  beds, i must however extend my  compost pallets to hold all of this . so the next job is to beg or borrow three more pallets

Today i started putting the compost over the onion bed until the rain came, will hopefully finish this off tomorrow. all told i have 700lts to wheel up hill and lay on this bed.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2018, 21:14 »
Continued shoring up the path.A couple more hours next week should do it. Also had a fire and did some strimming.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 05:13 »
Did lots yesterday. The wind was in the right direction for a bonfire, so fed my oil drum brambles etc. New fruit area coming on, put in rhubarb and plot neighbour offered some raspberry canes, duly p!anted. Put in some broad beans and onion sets.  Mulched around fruit bushes.

Eblana

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00 »
Got a good bit done.  Finished off the carrot/parsnip bed.  Finished cleaning the strawberry bed and topped it up With some compost.  Cleared out some very old and woody herbs from the bed in front of the poly tunnel I just have to remove some more roots from it and then top the bed up and plant the roses I have at home for it.  Planted first earlies in the PT.  OH put a new lock on the second shed and moved all the bigger equipment into it so that I can put the seed spuds on the shelves in the other shed to chit.

Aled

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24 »
As it was bit drier than usual I Dug a bit of ash into the veg patch.
Cheers
Aled 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 16:43 »
Nearly finished covering the polytunnel before it was time to do the school run. Should have it finished tomorrow morning. Not long till I'll be sowing under cover again  :)
tunnel.JPG

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 50 queries.