What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

chillimummy

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2018, 17:06 »
First proper visit since October last year due to ill health but plot looking ok so hard work from last year has kept things under control.
Pruned gooseberry bushes and logenberry bush. Frame for logenberry was falling apart so dismantled that and need to sort out wood for new frame.
Going to divide plot more with paths this year so started with first path dividing allotment down the middle.
Next visit can start digging.
Apple tree that I inherited when took over full plot last year was on a complete lean so pruned and propped it upright and weeded around it.
Have a regular supply now of rabbit poo and bedding so first builders sack full was spread on weed free area.
Shame weather is due to be so bad next week as have a few days of work and am raring to go  :D

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

snowdrops

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2018, 17:23 »
Another couple of hours spent in solitude,bliss. Harvested the last of the parsnips, took lots of photos,pruned autumn raspberries. Dismantled, emptied & repositioned green Johanna compost bin, moved leaf mold container to allow for this.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2018, 18:18 »
At last able to get on the plot and do a bit of digging. What a lovely day - birds singing, me singing (with pain from the aching back). Managed to start on constructing the second greenhouse until the drill battery ran out. Replaced three glass panes in first greenhouse, broken by the delightful little darlings of the neighbourhood, with polycarbonate so hoping they can't do it again. Then sat in the G/H to have my flask of coffee laced with spiced rum. Nearly didn't get going again, but managed to harvest a few leeks, a cabbage and some kale. Looks like we're in for some nasty weather so might not be able to get on again for a week or so. 

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2018, 20:58 »
Digging out lots of rubbish from the bank at the bottom of my plot and composted a bed with the which was couch grass pile eight years a go when I cleared the plot. I have a make-shift leaf mulch bin constructed from wire link fence which is buried in the bank still though  :unsure: I need the area cleared for compost bins and a swing for the kids when they visit.

gstrong

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26 »
Has a spare hour so popped along and dug out three big buckets worth of rubble & glass from a spot that hadn't been cleared yet. Slow going but worth it in the long run I reckon :-)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 19:37 »
Made a start digging the plot over today,first bed is the spud bed which is dug and muck spread.
Planted me Broad beans into their bed and covered with netting.
Had a chat with the chuckles, not sure if she understood the new family memers are arriving next Monday.
Sowed some early beetroots.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 21:22 »
Just got back from a late night plot visit to brush the snow off the polytunnel. The lock on the gate was frozen so I had to jump the fence to get in! At least none of the neighbouring houses called the old bill....
The tunnel was already  down to -2.5 (from a high of 18.2) and the outdoor temp down to -5c
Time to pour a warming glass of brandy and continue my revised sowing schedule for the year.
S5000335.JPG

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 16:05 »
NOTHING.......stared out the window from which I can see it! I swear I can hear my garlic cheering and shouting.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2018, 16:03 »
I was tramping about across Reading today, so swung by the plot to check for damage.  All OK I am glad to say with all the cages still standing.  Everything is looking a bit bedraggled after the snow, which is very rapidly melting away here today, but that is to be expected.

Just checked my various routes and that is about 6 miles walked, so I'm getting my legs in gear for some gardening once we dry out a bit  :D

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2018, 16:11 »
Popped down this morning, but nothing needed doing.  Couldn't see a weed anywhere! :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2018, 16:49 »
Quick plot inspection today, cleared the snow off the tunnel.
Noticed a neighbouring plot's greenhouse had popped one of it's twinwall sheets so I put it back in for them and brushed the snow off top while I was at it.
It'll take a few days for the snow to melt I think, so it's just waiting for the night time temps to creep back up before I can start sowing my broad beans, peas, etc in pots.

Silva

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2018, 16:56 »
Came down to  the plot today to see the plastic greenhouse we erected and lined the floor of last weekend had disappeared! Or rather the cover *and* frame had sailed away and landed about four plots down :ohmy: Feeling a tad embarrassed, although fortunately I don't think we squashed anything.  It had been dug into the ground so we were quite surprised!

Eblana

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2018, 17:08 »
Quick inspection today.  No damage thankfully.  Potatoes seem to be chitting away happily.  Only worry is the garlic in the PT, some of the leaves are gone yellow, they may have gotten a blast of icy wind as the plastic lifted from the top of the door leaving just the debris netting in that portion.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2018, 20:50 »
Busy day today.
1st up was collecting the new chooks and introducing them to mother hen who judging by the look she gave wasnt too impressed at first but so far so good.
Next was the hard work bit. Spud bed now dug over and muck spread on it ready for April.
Spot of spring cleaning in the shed and then finished putting new chooks to bed as they were a bit confused with the building in the run! Hopefully tomorrow they will realise what it is for.

snowdrops

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2018, 22:02 »
Quick trip to take veg peelings turned into a couple of hours weeding the front flower border but boy was it worth it, looks loved again.
From this to this
35C97889-2C65-44E9-A274-ED9EEF1873F5.jpeg
40EBC546-DA45-4D4D-ACC5-ACAF12E5A226.jpeg

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 51 queries.