What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 17:45 »
As hoped i managed to finish off the timberwork to the last bed and also put bark around all paths , so a very happy chappy tonight.

tomorrow morning i hope to import some soil into bed 2 which is low and generally  rake the soil back to the timber edges to tidy up a bit.  :D :D :D

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17 »
well due to the frost and freezing cold we didn't get as much done as i hoped, we didn't start until just before 11 and just did 1.5 hours, we leveled bed 5 out and thats looking great, we also did half of bed 2 but that was quite enough for today  there is always tomorrow.
the new layout is working well though with plenty of room on the paths to barrow and walk all beds can be reached from all sides - AB FAB !!!
the manure under the black plastic has a layer of ice on top of it so it froze more than forecast last night.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 13:10 »
a far better morning today to do something on the plot :D It actually felt warm enough to be a spring morning, soil still damp though.

Bed 1 is now ready for planting , the levels in the new beds have been made up by manure placed on top of the previous soil then another layer made up of turfs and sods placed upside down, this bed is now totally covered with black plastic. this will be my squash and marrow bed for this coming season

bed 2 i have also topped up the levels on this today with good salvaged soil from the old paths,  covered with black plastic for now, my peas, beetroot and swedes are going in here this season

bed 4  this bed too has also been topped up today with salvaged soil and is ready for planting, this will be my carrots and parsnips bed this coming season

I also raked out some spare soil behind the plot adjacent to the compost bins which we are going to plant up with flowers this year , so a very busy but enjoyable morning.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 13:57 by Offwego »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 15:20 »
Seeds have arrived so decided as it is tropical today here Blackpool I would get the broad bean ready and get them underway.
Tidied up a little, picked some kale and a swede for tea.
Fed chucks and gave em some greens.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 16:35 »
Hubby suggested this morning that we went to the plot & he’d put the guttering back up on both sheds( I took it down when I repainted then the weather changed & it didn’t get done), I gave it all a wash before he put it up. Then I harvested parsnips,Brussels & more purple sprouting broccoli.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 21:59 »
Me, The Wife and the kids collected seaweed and spread it about on the bed for the spuds. Had to push the wheel barrow up hill with the girl in at the plot to fetch the seaweed bags; who needs the gym with this hobby!  :D

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31 »
Yesterday finally finished getting the brick and stone shed foundations out to make space for my fruit area. The mattock we bought when we got the plot has been a good purchase! Also harvested some Brussels and Jerusalem artichoke - decided to grow this in a barrel this year as it was prolific. Pruned ancient neglected vine to its final size ready to train onto a frame once we have made it.

Aled

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56 »
Put some ash on the plot, and some paper in the compost bin.
Cheers
Aled

Nana1

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 21:04 »
First visit of the new year....cant wait to get started but to wet,just had a check on sheds etc everything in order..need a dry day to cut down green manure :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 20:26 »
I decided to take the potted fig tree to the plot, it was beginning to get in the way in the garden tbh.
Took it round on the trolley and decided where it would go, then came back home to get the new/bigger pot to put it in.

Now I need to get a couple of bags of soil-based compost to finish the job  :)

Eblana

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 11:07 »
I have only managed one trip up since the start of the year but plan to spend as much time a possible up there this weekend.

Today I am off to the Garden Centre to get some first early seed spuds for planting in the PT and also some onion and sweet pea seed to replace the ones eaten by the mouse in the greenhouse.  He didn't actually eat the onion seeds but he got into the seed tray after they had germinated and burrowed around it looking for seeds and destroyed all the lovely newly germinated seedlings!!  I have sealed the propagator so he can't get in this time.  Mamamoth sowing session when I get back because I want to start a few bits off for early planting out in the PT.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 20:30 »
big plans for today ruined due to the weather   :mad:  oh well theres always next week

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 21:13 »
Same here, too wet to do anything. Picked up some compost to sow some onion seed either tonight or tomorrow.

Eblana

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 15:03 »
I ventured up to the plot but only stayed for an hour as it was very wet and I was nervous about driving home due to flooding on the roads.  I manage to get a bit of tidying done in the poly tunnel and I must say I feel great after spending the hour in fabulous solitude🤗🤗

marky55

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 23:36 »
well went to the plot today and checked out 'sum hole' (tells us how high the ground water is) 2 inches below the surface and was still raining so went in polytunnel and did a little bit of tidying up. Just hoping for a break in this rain then maybe the water level might drop enough to do some digging. going to try and get some onions sown tomorrow trying out soil blocks for the first time so wish me luck.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 19:19
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 51 queries.