What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
What I did on the plot today 2018
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:05 »
On New Years Eve tacked the huge  vine which has been smothering the roof of the home made greenhouse we inherited on the plot, with a view to rescuing it for use. You can actually see right through it now, very pleasing!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 15:27 »
Sorted all three greenhouses ready for the new season, all tidy shelves back up ready for seed trays just need to wash them down now

Cut the autumn raspberry canes down,pruned an apple tree and generally tidied up.
Put some muck on the rhubarb.

Beds still too wet to start the digging.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 16:03 »
measure up for the timber for the raised beds that i will be doing next week hopefully. topped up the compost bins with kitchen waste and cleanings from the rabbit hutch

now decided that timber and bark paths are the way to go, wheeling slabs up the hill doesnt  sound appealing

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:33 »
Hi,  I think we all tend to sow tomatoes and peppers far too early and there will be some on here who say they always wait until late march and that it makes no difference to the productivity if you do but in my experience over the last couple of years, it is the level of good light you can provide that prevents tomatoes from getting too leggy. Last year I had a new conservatory with plenty of light in all directions and they grew strongly giving me early tomatoes.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03 »
Took down a bin full of of ashes to add to compost bin 2

Dug up a row of huge parsnips which otherwise would have been buried under one of the new paths.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 18:27 »
Took down two bins full to the compost heap.

Cleared out the polytunnel ready for the first early spuds to go in at the end of the month.

Surveyed the two plots and decided what needs to be done and what needs to be tackled first.

Came home and cleared out seed boxes.

Plan on sowing onion seed tomorrow.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 20:11 »
Checked all the stored produce in the shed.  I Tromba squash and 1 spaghetti squash has small soft patches on the skin, so they have been chopped, roasted and stashed in the freezer.

Checked the remaining 3 sacks of spuds.  Only 1 Kifli and 1 Sarpo Axono needed binning out of the whole lot  :D

Aled

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:15 »
Added some kitchen scraps to the compost bin. Spent some time on the chainsaw and axe, next winters log pile is under way. I've nearly finished eating my home grown shallots, both the pickled and dried variety!
Cheers
Aled

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18 »
Found my dalek bin lids, which went missing during the last storm, and weighed them down with bricks and also put more on weed cover which was flapping about a bit.
Made another attempt to dig up my very early rhubarb, trying to move it to the new plot, but it is still resisting, and it has already started budding  :ohmy: I might need to get some manly assistance, although I hate to be beaten  ::)

Took home potatoes - one of the Sarpos, don't know which one, from the new plot, plus leeks and swede from the old plot.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 14:18 »
Dug out for the new paths, and placed timber edgings to form the raised beds, ran out of timber  :(
weather permitting i hope to complete the timber edgings tomorrow and hopefully fingers crossed put landscape fabric and bark to the paths.
I will be glad when its all about planting and weeding  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 15:27 »
Trundled there with my trusty steed aka my wheelbarrow with all the kitchen peelings since before I became ill at Christmas,loaded it all into compost bin no.1. Harvested some things,see separate thread
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 16:26 »
Dug out for the new paths, and placed timber edgings to form the raised beds, ran out of timber  :(
weather permitting i hope to complete the timber edgings tomorrow and hopefully fingers crossed put landscape fabric and bark to the paths.
I will be glad when its all about planting and weeding  :D

under the plastic is my ready manured beds which once the timberwork and paths are completed i will be further topping up with soil.
20180108_153103 (1).jpg

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 17:17 »
far to wet on the plot so light the fire in the greenhouse and spent the day there I did helping my O/H cleaning and sorting pots still plenty of jobs in the greenhouses keeping warm is the main thing so I keep feeding that fire with plenty of tea  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 21:04 »
Finaly started to dig the beds over, been far too wet last few weeks/ months but by the eck I have eaten too many mince pies and I was propper goosed, talk about unfit!
Planned what and where is going to grown.
Had a chat with chooks and gave them greens and fresh worms.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 17:07 »
Too wet to do much in the way of digging, but cleaned up a lot of old leaves from sprouts, cabbages etc., chucked out some lettuce that had had it and hand weeded the raised beds. How come the weeds can still grow when everything else is dormant? harvested a nice parsnip, some leeks that look more like spring onions and a bag of salad from mizzuna, mustards and chard. The compost bin smells a bit iffy, so I probably haven't put enough brown in with the green. Hardly anyone else down on the lotties - nice and peaceful. Worked out what jobs really need doing, then decided I would go down the club for a pint. Retirement isn't all bad!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 52 queries.