Log burner to heat water?

• 1 Replies

DeanoB

Log burner to heat water?
« on: July 06, 2017, 21:48 »
I should start of my explaining i am very new to having an allotment and have only a little construction knowledge.

On my newly aquired allotment (which is in an absolute state) I have a cabin/greenhouse that the last tenant built out of old windows, scaffold boards and other timber. It is pretty sturdy but needs alot of tlc to get it into shape for purpose as a weatherproof workshed and possible green house.

The guy opposite me showed me his set up in a conventional shed that leads onto a green house. It consists of a log burner with back burner piped up to a water tank. Burner in the shed, pipes in the greenhouse.

I want to replicate this somehow.

So i have bought a log burner derived from an old gas bottle with the intention of putting it into my cabin/greenhouse question is, is it possible to retro fit a back burner to it?

The roof of my cabin/greenhouse is mainly polycarb...should i have concerns about embers? Would i be ok if i put an elbow on the flu and sent the flu out of one of the walls?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

rowlandwells

Re: Log burner to heat water?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 21:05 »
we have a solid fuel burner that burns both wood and coal  if you have a good supply of wood its the most cost effective the burner has cast pipes the water goes to a cast tank and returns back to the burner basically circulating the hot water that heats under the staging  the heater is about 70 years old

we usually light the heater if we are doing something in the greenhouse like tidying up say on a winters day and when we start growing in the spring

so after we replaced our old wooden greenhouse with  a new  aluminium one I had to construct a pot shed on the end of the greenhouse  so I built a pot shed with concreate blocks a window and door to house the burner I set up the burner in the shed putting the cast pipes through the potting shed into the greenhouse the roof is tinned with a chimney cut through it  because of the heat and the rest of the roof  is clear plastic giving us light in the pot shed

the main thing is installing your burner  safely especially if your constructing with timber because our burner does get hot but there's nothing like sitting round the burner with a bacon butty and a cup of tea on a winters day :lol:

good luck with your burner  ;)

xx
garden burner

Started by ciderman on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 23:23
by compostqueen
xx
DIY Greenhouse Heat Recovery System

Started by tinyallotment on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 11:18
by tinyallotment
xx
Well water

Started by Balaton Ben on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 21:25
by Balaton Ben
xx
Managing water

Started by coldandwindy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 19:09
by grinling

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 34 queries.