Another spud question

• 11 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Another spud question
« on: April 25, 2014, 21:03 »
On the back beds on plot 66 we last grew spuds in 2009, they have been used for other crops constantly since.

So why do I have spuds popping up this year.  :wacko: surely they havent sat doing nothing for that long and surely the amount of times the bed has been dug we cant have missed some.

Or is some evil old boy planting them on purpose just to annoy me. The last option is a joke.

gypsy

Re: Another spud question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 22:05 »
The same evil old boy plants them on my plot too. :lol: It is a mystery of nature.
Catherine

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 22:40 »
It's a very busy spud fairy up here too ...  ::) I wonder whether the tiny volunteers grow a little bit each year, until they are large enough to be viable seed tubers?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 22:48 »
Do you put peelings from potatoes into your compost..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 23:07 »
Don't start that question !!!  :ohmy: :lol:

(It's been discussed recently on another thread with varying responses  :nowink: )

al78

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 23:48 »
I had volunteers popping up on a part of the plot that was completely uncultivated the previous year, so they must have survived dormant for a couple of years at least.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48 »
I wish my earlies would volunteer to come through... Despite being planted once and replanted again I think they should be putting in an appearance by now especially as...

I have a couple of volunteer potatoes appearing where I really don't remember putting any and before last year the patch was lawn!!

Potato Fairies? Goblins more like.  :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Muppetgirly

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:57 »
OH planted our sideways, so no idea where the shoots will emerge!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:44 »
Just asking could they have grow from the potato seed berries if they were left in the ground. I have the same problem on my new plot that I have taken over. some have come up where the gooseberry plants are.I have been told that they have been in there for two years now.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:53 »

In the unlikely event that a seed spud has only one chit it would be better planted facing upwards as that's the direction growth starts, but most spuds have several chits all round the 'rose end,' so even planted on their sides some of them are bound to be facing upwards (just imagine how expensive spuds would be in the shops if commercial growers had to make sure they were all planted 'chits up'!  :ohmy:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:44 »
Surely though 2009 to 2014 is too long to have missed a spud. Its not just one spud either.

I am going for angry old grump just doing it to annoy me  ;)

I do put spud peelings in the compost but I use a peeler and the peelings are waffer thin.

Muppetgirly

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 23:16 »

In the unlikely event that a seed spud has only one chit it would be better planted facing upwards as that's the direction growth starts, but most spuds have several chits all round the 'rose end,' so even planted on their sides some of them are bound to be facing upwards (just imagine how expensive spuds would be in the shops if commercial growers had to make sure they were all planted 'chits up'!  :ohmy:)

I just has the romantic image of them trundling along under the ground and then deciding to surface somewhere random! Obviously because in the land I live in, the potato plants are capable of independent thought!!! :)

xx
Spud Question

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 13:22
by South Downs Wayer
xx
spud question

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 22:30
by Yorkie
xx
Spud question

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:37
by pushrod
xx
Another spud question!

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 22:31
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 39 queries.