What to do after lifting onions?

• 3 Replies

Goldfinger

What to do after lifting onions?
« on: August 19, 2012, 14:45 »

My onion crop this year is a disaster.  :(

They stopped growing when we had all that cold and rain, and when they did start growing again, either they bolted, or got mildew. [insert angry rude rasp']

I pushed the tops over to stop anymore growth a while back and have now lifted them to sort and dry properly.

My question's this....

They were planted in ground that was double dug with added manure so, should I lime the ground in the hope of killing off any mildew spores, but will it counter act the manure of this year now?

Or just weed and cover the ground with black plastic ready for next year, as I have no plans for that bit of ground until next year, (that I know of just yet).

Goosegirl

Re: What to do after lifting onions?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 15:13 »
As you dug manure in earlier this year, liming should be no problem - don't know of it killing off mildew spores though. I'd not bother with weeding - just cover the ground with your black plastic.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 15:53 »
The manure and liming are no problem since good soil needs both, but I'd personally worry about  building more mildew spores by covering the area in plastic after the problems you've had. Mildew will normally die off with exposure to dry air, and if your soil happens to be damp/wet, then you'll increase your future headaches. If you have a good dry spell and the soil dries off somewhat then the plastic would work.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 18:52 »
my solution to the same problem ..  plus a little onion fly  >:( ... (hopeless shallots as well - pickled onions are going to be thin on the plate this year!) was to clear the patch of the weeds (how did that many get there?   :unsure: ), lime it thoroughly and plant brassicas (sprouts, PSB, savoys, kale etc) for the winter.  They will like the manure, love the lime and all the space between the baby plants in this weather will give the sun chance to kill the mould spores.

I'll tell you in the spring if it worked!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Lifting Onions

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 08:57
by Steveharford
xx
Lifting beetroot

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:05
by jennyb
xx
Lifting Potatoes

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:30
by DD.
xx
Lifting New Potatoes

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:04
by digalotty

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.