Is this odd?

• 4 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Is this odd?
« on: September 08, 2008, 20:50 »
I have several St Pierre toms, first time to grow them. They will have produced very few, but huge tomatoes.

They have suffered with flowers dying and dropping before setting fruit. Can anyone tell me why?

But what is also odd is that at the END of a truss, it starts to grow more leaves and then further trusses. Also along the the spine of the lower leaves, there are new shoots, not at the 'crotch' with the stem, but all along the leaf 'spine' Is this normal? I thought it may be a bush variety, but i've googled and it's not.

Sorry i've no pics.
Liv.

Carol

Is this odd?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 20:30 »
Don't know about the flowers dropping, but with regard to the leaves sprouting at the end of flower trusses, my Greenhouse Yellow Perfection did exactly the same thing - ended up hacking off bits all over the shop, not just side shoots.  They fruited really well though.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Is this odd?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 20:18 »
Oh glad it's not just me then.

I wasn;t sure wether to keep pinching out. I thought maybe i had a bush variety so i just left them.

Should i take all that extra growth off?

OpenSourceAgriculture

Is this odd?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 21:23 »
(But what is also odd is that at the END of a truss, it starts to grow more leaves and then further trusses. Also along the the spine of the lower leaves, there are new shoots, not at the 'crotch' with the stem, but all along the leaf 'spine' Is this normal?)

Yes, this trait in tomatoes seems to be quite normal.  I first saw it in a yellow tomato variety, but have also seen it in some red varieties.   They become quite rambling and unmanageable, since new branches and flower trusses can be coming out from all over the place.    This trait isn't a problem when the weather is hot and sunny and the tomato plant thinks it might live forever, but in this poor summer, when we are trying to direct its precious energy to the ripening fruit, the trait is a nuisance.

FYI I have seen a  tomato variety that also seemed to have some natural climbing traits - the leaves could wind themselves around other plants for the support.
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

Ice

• muck spreader
Is this odd?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 21:29 »
Hi OSA.  That's an interesting name, where does it come from?
Cheese makes everything better.

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 38 queries.