New allotment rules - ponds allowed!

• 7 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
New allotment rules - ponds allowed!
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:15 »
An odd question perhaps, but the society has amended its rules and now allows for a small shallow pond.

Aside from the obvious frog/newtspawn potential for the kids, would there be anything we could grow in stagnant watwr that would be safe to eat?!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment rules - ponds allowed!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:33 »
Water cress might grow in what would not be ideal conditions for it, but it wouldn't be safe to eat unless cooked thoroughly (not checked but I bet there aren't many recipes for cooked water cress!  :unsure:)

Can't think of anything else edible - best to just grow aquatic plants to help keep the water clear and healthy (might have to be marginal types rather than submerged because I'm guessing the depth permitted will be minimal on safety grounds.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:08 »
Water cress might grow in what would not be ideal conditions for it, but it wouldn't be safe to eat unless cooked thoroughly (not checked but I bet there aren't many recipes for cooked water cress!  :unsure:)

Can't think of anything else edible - best to just grow aquatic plants to help keep the water clear and healthy (might have to be marginal types rather than submerged because I'm guessing the depth permitted will be minimal on safety grounds.)

Thanks, yeah I kind of thought as much... the max size allowed is 2sq m with a max depth of 50cm, so I guess, a couple of plants, spawn and snails!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 13:31 »

Thanks, yeah I kind of thought as much... the max size allowed is 2sq m with a max depth of 50cm, so I guess, a couple of plants, spawn and snails!
I don’t like to be a killjoy, but water and children have always been a fear of mine. 50 cm is deep enough to drown in, so I would also want to see the ponds fenced somehow. I’m glad there are no ponds on our allotment site.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 17:02 »
I don’t like to be a killjoy, but water and children have always been a fear of mine. 50 cm is deep enough to drown in, so I would also want to see the ponds fenced somehow. I’m glad there are no ponds on our allotment site.

You can easily drown in 2" (5cm) of water so fencing off all 'dangerous' water becomes somewhat difficult. To play devil's advocate, should water butts also be fenced off? Children should be closely supervised whenever they are on an allotment site whether there are ponds or not given the myriad of potential dangers lurking.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 17:28 »
My dads giving me a small plastic pond, only little and nowhere near the 50cm limit, I was going to peg down a piece of 10mm metal meshover the top with spaces for the froggies to enter and leave. The idea is that when we're all together the mesh can come off so the boys can have a look in and see whats going on, then go back on after.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 18:10 »
Good plan - possibly not necessary with a very shallow pond, but not a bad idea to provide some sort of ramp, which could just be pebbles or pieces of brick, to help the frogs climb out of the pond (with any luck in spring they might be too, um, weary to jump out!  8))

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 19:58 »
Good plan - possibly not necessary with a very shallow pond, but not a bad idea to provide some sort of ramp, which could just be pebbles or pieces of brick, to help the frogs climb out of the pond (with any luck in spring they might be too, um, weary to jump out!  8))

A ramp is a good idea to make it possible for any small animal or bird that inadvertently (and almost certainly will!) find their way into the water to get back out.

xx
who IS allowed to keep hens on there coucil allotment

Started by jonandjen16 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 22:26
by vegikev
xx
Allotment rules

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 17:17
by Totty
xx
Rules concerning allotment vacancies

Started by Alec Powell on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 16:38
by wellingtons
xx
Help!-Council changing allotment rules

Started by farnsbarnes on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 20:07
by digalotty

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 47 queries.