draining a boggy allotment

• 3 Replies

RigsVilleBird

draining a boggy allotment
« on: February 20, 2011, 19:29 »

I have an allotment and the bottom third of it is very boggy :ohmy:.  It is the last allotment on the bottom right hand side of the plot.  It is the lowest point of the whole allotment site.  Just beyond the boundry hedge is a small stream.  Any ideas on how to drain it?  All the water from the rest of the plot drains into my allotment as it is the lowest point.  There has also been a well dug but it is full of stagnent water  :tongue2: and it smells!!  Any ideas on how to drain it will be much apprieciated!!! I am hoping to dig it to plant vegs on, if i cant whats the census on a pond? :wacko:

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
Re: draining a boggy allotment
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 20:37 »
The simplest form of land drainage is whats known as a french drain.
As I do'nt know the layout of your plot its a job to explain but here goes, you need to dig a trench that falls from your plot downward to the stream making sure that the bottom of your trench is above the water level of the stream, its then best to line the trench with a geo textile (such as Teram), leaving enough sticking up to fold over the stone that you then put in the trench.
The stone should be 3/4", fill the trench to around 4" from the top with the stones then lay the geo textile over said stones,then fill to the top with soil.
At the stream end lay a piece of pipe surrounded by stone to act as outlet.
You could lay other french drains connecting to this one as long as everything falls tward the stream.
The geo textile is optional, it's purpose is to let water pass but prevent the stones from becoming clogged with soil.
If I can clarify any of this let me know.  :unsure:

grinling

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 00:15 »
Start the digging above the boggy areas. I have 2 drainage channels going into wasteland opp my plot; there is a pond in there. My channels were at least 2 spades depth. 1 drains very well, the other had other plot holders veg waste!!!! Pointed it out to manager as compost bins should be used. Spent last 2 trips down digginng out the ditch and plot is draining again very well.

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 18:35 »
many thanks.x :)

xx
New Allotment

Started by elle.scanlon on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 01:45
by Trillium
xx
new allotment

Started by perdycat on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 13:06
by perdycat
xx
My New Allotment!!

Started by MightyScouse on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:46
by MightyScouse
xx
new allotment

Started by linda graham on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 07:30
by cadalot

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.