copper maran temperament???

• 9 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:50 »
HI everyone.
I have 3 chooks, a goldline, a babcock and a copper maran, I have to say that the goldy and babcock have settled in lovely, they're friendly, easy going and don't mind being handled or by being chased around the garden by my 4year old Autistic son Seth. On the other hand the maran is cautious, skittish, won't come when I call her with treats and trying to get her in at night is a nightmare, she's so fast its almost impossible to catch her and we end up stressing her more by doing so.

Trouble is because my son has Autism I can't explain to him that he shouldn't chase her and am seriously thinking of rehoming her for her own sake.

Has anyone got a copper maran and if so what kind of temperament do they normally have, I'm not sure if its just mine or if they are all like that.

thanks
Katt

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:55 »
I have a blue copper maran grower (a boy) have had him since a chick with my cochins, I have noticed a difference I must say he is far more cautious  and flighty than the cochins who love to perch on my legs, shoulders anything and are very laid back. I have heard marans are more flightly however I have never kept them.
Bodger I think is experienced with marans and will probably tell us! marans do lay a nice brown egg though!

Bodger

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 13:00 »
Bodgers experience with Marans only extends to me having hatched 8 of them 4 months ago i'm afraid but they seem OK. The most dormant and dull chickens that i have ever owned, have got to be Warrens

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 13:07 »
sorry Bodger, dont know where I got that from! Might have been from the chick pic with the maran chick I posted for sexing. Aren't game birds like Oxfords your thing? Got a feeling that the large fluffy, feathery girls aren't really your cup of tea! :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 13:10 »
They are growing on me This year has seen me with both Marans and Light Sussex for the first time. :lol:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 14:08 »
I think she'd be better off in a large flock with not so much human handling and just doing her own thing so if anyone can give her a new home I would be very grateful and think she'd be happier too without Seth chasing her round in circles :D

ajkula77

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 16:53 »
If you're coming up the M4 at all, i'm on the hunt for a copper maran! I live just off jctn 8/9. I have had a couple and they are pretty daft, esp when young. So speedy too, whippets of the chicken world! Mine now live in a large pen, so can just do their own thing.  :lol:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 17:51 »
Quote from: "ajkula77"
If you're coming up the M4 at all, i'm on the hunt for a copper maran! I live just off jctn 8/9. I have had a couple and they are pretty daft, esp when young. So speedy too, whippets of the chicken world! Mine now live in a large pen, so can just do their own thing.  :lol:

Ah thank you for the offer but unfortunately I hate driving and especially terrified of motorways :lol: Been driving 10 years and can't get over my fears...stupid I know.

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 19:27 »
I have a friend that is collecting some chickens soon  from me for a free range flock. I can ask if he would like her as well if you are interested!

ajkula are you looking for a boy or girl? I have a young blue copper maran boy at the moment.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 19:39 »
Foxy that would be great if you could ask thankyou, She's POL but won't be long I don't think :D

xx
Copper Maran Cockerel??

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 15:00
by joyfull
xx
copper blue maran

Started by dianemk73 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 17:42
by Foxy
xx
Cockerel Temperament

Started by kentishlad on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 13:44
by Vember
xx
chicken breed temperament advice & housing (orpingtons?)

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:21
by jo40

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 39 queries.