« on: March 27, 2007, 13:44 »
Easy question.. should you water onion sets or not?  :D
trying to be organic....

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
onion sets
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 15:15 »
easy answer, if in ground and its very dry then yes, give em a sprinkle, if not in ground nope.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

muntjac

onion sets
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 15:15 »
no
. let em set and then the first rains wil do i for u ... watering them with hoses  etc usually means they get washed out  :wink:
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
onion sets
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 15:16 »
I knew youd be different munty, spose it depends on soil type, I am very sandy so bit of water does no harm.

muntjac

onion sets
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 15:21 »
its realy because i am lasy why mess about watering em when the rians gonna do it fer ya .. now if we was in for a week of hot weather then id put me sprinkler on  :lol: and send the kids out to watch it  :wink:

ruffmesiter_69

onion sets
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 15:22 »
give them a little sprinkle if dry but rain should do the rest, then water once they are off and away

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
onion sets
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 16:55 »
That's yes & no, then.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

onion sets
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 18:02 »
Here goes ... I can scarcely believe the question, let alone some of the answers!  My answer would be a categoric no.  Just because the surface is dry doesn't mean it needs watering.  Dig a hole if you don't believe me.  Anyhow, a sprinkle on the surface will only evaporate anyway.

It is still only March & if you water now, you'll be watering until your hosepipe ban comes in in the summer.   Leave them be and they will put down deeper roots to get water themselves.

We get 900mm of rain per annum and the only thing I water in the garden is courgettes - even they don't get very much since a black polymulch causes water to RISE.   Stuff I'm transplanting will get a drink but that is it.

End of rant.  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
onion sets
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 18:23 »
Well lucky you WG  :evil:   We still have a hose pipe ban which has been in place since Summer 2005  :!:

Luckily it doesn't apply to allotments  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
onion sets
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 19:11 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Here goes ... I can scarcely believe the question, let alone some of the answers!  My answer would be a categoric no.  Just because the surface is dry doesn't mean it needs watering.  Dig a hole if you don't believe me.  Anyhow, a sprinkle on the surface will only evaporate anyway.

It is still only March & if you water now, you'll be watering until your hosepipe ban comes in in the summer.   Leave them be and they will put down deeper roots to get water themselves.

We get 900mm of rain per annum and the only thing I water in the garden is courgettes - even they don't get very much since a black polymulch causes water to RISE.   Stuff I'm transplanting will get a drink but that is it.

End of rant.  :wink:

That's:

to the waterers then.

(Sorry I've found some freebie emoticons and I'm damn well going to use them!)

DadBear

• Experienced Member
onion sets
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 19:23 »
right, thanks all... on balance then I'll leave them alone unless we have another 1976...! And there was me thinking there woluld be an easy answer.....!! Thanks all, very interesting... :D  :D  :D

WG.

onion sets
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 20:11 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Well lucky you WG  :evil:   We still have a hose pipe ban which has been in place since Summer 2005

Not sure why I'm lucky Auntie.  My self-imposed hose-pipe ban has been in effect for 21 years.  With a private water supply (well) for the house, then even the water for the courgettes comes from catching rainwater.  No mains water hereabouts.  :wink:  :wink:

muntjac

onion sets
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 20:28 »
hang on  i said dont water em when ya shoved em in not after whennthey start growing if its dry watter em if its raining dont :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
onion sets
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 21:30 »
Well lucky you WG  :evil:   We still have a hose pipe ban which has been in place since Summer 2005

Not sure why I'm lucky Auntie.  My self-imposed hose-pipe ban has been in effect for 21 years.  With a private water supply (well) for the house, then even the water for the courgettes comes from catching rainwater.  No mains water hereabouts.  :wink:  :wink:

I wouldn't need to water much if we had your rain fall WG.  

I had loads of garden plants die last summer: Honeysuckle, Hazel, 3/4 of my herbaceous perennials just withered and went brown and crispy.  I know there is no point planting annual flowers at home.  Even with 3 large water barrels I can only water the pots and tubs :cry:

muntjac

onion sets
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 21:32 »

I wouldn't need to water much if we had your rain fall WG.  

I had loads of garden plants die last summer: Honeysuckle, Hazel, 3/4 of my herbaceous perennials just withered and went brown and crispy.  I know there is no point planting annual flowers at home.  Even with 3 large water barrels I can only water the pots and tubs :cry:

try my lemondae bottle watering trick sally  :wink:

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
clip
Onion sets

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2024, 06:57
by steven c
xx
Onion Sets

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 09:33
by corndolly
xx
onion sets

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 15:54
by gazza975526570

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.