Japanese onion sets

• 32 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
Japanese onion sets
« on: September 30, 2007, 11:46 »
What's the latest I can plant these? I bought a bagful yesterday but don't actually have a bed prepared yet.

Thanks,

Fletch
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

muntjac

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:56 »
get the bed done today n plant in the morning, or evening if ya at werk  :wink:
still alive /............

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Japanese onion sets
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 12:17 »
I've not had time to get mine in yet but next week is the week I hope :)

Garden Gnome

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 13:23 »
Funnily enough, I was speaking to a commercial supplier of onion sets last week, about autumn-planted sets, as I've always been of the, 'Bung in early, get bigger'uns,' approach to gardening.

She said that no farmers/producers would even begin to plant out the sets until the first week of October [gnomey squint at calendar: ooh! Tomorrow!!].

I bought two bags and planted some out last year in an unusual frenzy of activity, as soon as I got 'em, and using - in addition to garden implements - what I considered would pass as logic: the sooner planted, the larger, bigger, better onions I would get. Sooo, in they went in early September.

I then found the misplaced other bag of the same variety, same brand. These got planted in my next frenzy of activity in early NOVEMBER. I planted them with a sinking heart, and a head full of curses for tardiness, procrasination, money down drain, etc.

By spring, the September-planted ones were slightly ahead of the other batch. Then

The September-planted ones were rubbish: they didn't bulk up. Then they got white fungal rot.

The November-planted ones were the best onions I have ever grown. They were enormous, healthy and, if an onion can be described as such, vibrant. Almost architectural, they were. People came from other plots to gawp at them, even.

Both lots were grown within inches of each other, adjacent blocks on my lotty: one lot went on in the half-row where the first bag had run out.

I'm going to plant some successionally this year, Just To See What Happens.

Mind you, I've managed to order a SACK to sell on to us at the allotment to save loads: they are about 20% of the price of garden centre-bought ones. The commercial grower is doing me a favour, as she usually fufils orders that would cover a small African nation knee-deep in sets, I discovered.

Conversation:
Gnome: I'd like to buy some sets, please.
Her with the Sets: How many would you like?
G: Oh, I was thinking, er, um, one or two?
HwtS: Yes, that would be fine. What size lorry load would you like to order?
G: !!!
HwtS: Hallo, anyone there??
G: [squeaky high voice, faintly] Do you do, um, BAGS??
HwtS: Yes, but they're only 25 Kgs.

And so on.

Anyway, I mentioned my marvellous differences in results to The Lady, and that's when she came out with the gem of info at the start of this overlong post.

yummy

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 15:40 »
Bought some this morning. Hope to put them in next weekend.

mushroom

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 16:19 »
I've planted 300 of my 400 sets. A couple of them were starting to sprout  :shock: They are in rows, each set is about 8 inches apart, maybe 8 to 10 inches, each row is a foot apart, and they are sown so the tip of the set is just poking through the surface. I don't know if this is the correct way. i wanted to seperate the plantings by a few weeks because i don't want them ready all at once. I'm planting the other 100 tomorrow. I've also got 3 garlic bulbs to split into cloves and plant. Where are they going to go???! I'm running out of room!!! :shock:  :shock:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Japanese onion sets
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 16:50 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
I've planted 300 of my 400 sets. A couple of them were starting to sprout  :shock: They are in rows, each set is about 8 inches apart, maybe 8 to 10 inches, each row is a foot apart, and they are sown so the tip of the set is just poking through the surface. I don't know if this is the correct way. i wanted to seperate the plantings by a few weeks because i don't want them ready all at once. I'm planting the other 100 tomorrow. I've also got 3 garlic bulbs to split into cloves and plant. Where are they going to go???! I'm running out of room!!! :shock:  :shock:

If the tip is poking out, try & get some netting over them as the birds love to pull them out. On of my neighbouring allotmenteers didn't do that & it looked just as though she'd just thrown the bag of sets on the soil.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mushroom

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 16:57 »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock: ok i'll do that as soon as i've finished work tomorrow - cheers for the tip. I was led to believe by someone on the plot that they needed the tips showing - i'll give em a covering with compost.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Japanese onion sets
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 17:25 »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock: ok i'll do that as soon as i've finished work tomorrow - cheers for the tip. I was led to believe by someone on the plot that they needed the tips showing - i'll give em a covering with compost.

Most books etc. do say to leave the tip showing. I follow my Grandfather's way and only just bury the whole set, leaving nothing showing.

gobs

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 19:39 »
And they still get dug up, mushy, listen to the net bit :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
Japanese onion sets
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 19:40 »
Quote from: "gobs"
And they still get dug up, mushy, listen to the net bit :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

I bury them AND net 'em.

WG.

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 19:43 »
each set is about 8 inches apart, maybe 8 to 10 inches, each row is a foot apart
That is a big spacing - approx 84 sq inches per set.  I'd have twice as many in that area ... Mmmm ... thinks ... is that why Jap Onions don't do so well for me?

gobs

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 19:56 »
I would not think so, WG, I do pack them in more than that, leave the rows almost a foot or so apart though.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Japanese onion sets
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 20:11 »
6" apart in rows 12" apart.

"Werks for me".

sweet nasturtium

Japanese onion sets
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 21:57 »
Is it worth planting them in succession?  One row per week, say?

xx
Japanese onion sets

Started by captainhastings on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 21:12
by compostqueen
xx
over wintering (Japanese) onion sets

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 18:41
by gobs
xx
Japanese onion sets and container growing

Started by fatgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 11:58
by fatgit
xx
Japanese onions - seeds or sets?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 12:10
by cawdor2001

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 39 queries.