Swollen Chicken Eye

• 18 Replies

happychickens

Swollen Chicken Eye
« on: January 12, 2008, 13:39 »
Today I have checked my chickens and eric (she!) has a swollen left side of her face, cannot see any bites etc, have washed the area with salted water but am at a loss - any ideas.  Thanks :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 17:26 »
Is her eye open ?

happychickens

Chicken Swollen Eye
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:27 »
Her eye was open just the surrounding area of her eye and that side of her head was swollen, bathed it but this morning it seems her whole head has swollen slightly - the only thing I can say is that for a few weeks beforehand she had a very small white spot on her upper eyelid which has now been replaced by a red bump - should she be seperated from the group? I have no idea what it could be after trawling sites and books.  Any advice gratefully received :wink:

Selkie

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:58 »
Could it be something like an abscess?

I'd take her to the vet, she might need antibiotics?

happychickens

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:17 »
Seems exceptionally small for an abscess even for a chicken if no ideas then will see if it goes down at all today and if not go to vets in the morning - the only problem we have is the vets are lovely but when its not their speciality they are never much help with what it could be either. Thanks

Selkie

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:31 »
Maybe not an abscess but perhaps a small infection?

Our tom cat had an abscess on his face, and as far as I can remember they swell up very quickly, and your original post was a few days ago, so perhaps it isn't an abscess.

happychickens

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:02 »
Maybe infection - just cannot see what has caused it as no apparent bites or mites etc??!!

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:57 »
Charlotte my duck had an infected eye and was given an injection and some cream cost me 35.00 but I have some cream left in case it reocurrs. (within use by date of course)  It cleared up in no time at all with some TLC.

It all depends on if she is a pet or food bird as to what action you take its not cheap to go to the vets but its your choice really as to kill or cure :(

happychickens

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 13:31 »
I have no problem about going to vets, yes it is expensive but as her whole head has swollen slightly will keep an eye on it until tomorrow, if no change will take her in the morning, she is slightly more quite than usual but we all are when we are out of sorts poor thing.  Thanks for the help :)

Foxy

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 18:36 »
Hello happychickens! Could do with a little more information
Has your hen got any other symptoms -like is that side of her face hot compared to the other? This could indicate a local infection likely cause trauma by pecking or catching on something sharp whilst foraging.
Chickens are also prone to upper rispiratory infections -mycoplasma being the most common particulary in young birds. Odd that only one eye affected. Is your hen eating/drinking pooing as normal? Does she appear hunched with fluffed feathers? Can hear any wheezing sounds. Look closely at her beak and you will see if she is gasping at all.
With either of these symtoms I would take to a vet and ask for antibiotics.
In the meantime a good all round tonic is apple cider vinegar (from feed stores) and pop some crushed garlic in their water. Hope this helps! :lol:

Jellyhead

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 18:50 »
Pardon my spelling but doesn't Coryza symptoms include swollen eye and face?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 18:53 »
Sorry I've not been back to this topic

yes it does FC
Merck Veterinary Manual says:

Infectious coryza is an acute respiratory disease of chickens characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes.

Foxy

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 18:55 »
Yep - infectious coryza is another upper respiratory tract infection - this infects the sinuses cavity under the eyes -and there is sometimes cheesy gunk if you look at the backof the throat - I have seen this not very nice  :? Just a bit surprised if just one eye is infected though. I think Tylan is usually prescribed but would have to check.Def one for the vet!!!

happychickens

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 19:57 »
Just as you reach total panic stage everything has gone back to normal, their is very minor swelling I can see on the original side today, it must have been some kind of infection because for a day her whole head and crop became more swollen, then this morning has gone back to 99% normal!  All I can say is that I have another chicken that has problems internally and sometimes require antibiotics for her when she has a certain bad smell about her, last night my swollen headed one had a similar smell, but not nearly as bad, this morning nothing so I am putting it down to a 48hour infection that luckily for her seems to have gone, but will be keeping a close eye on her for the next few days.  Thanks for the advice given.   :)

Selkie

Swollen Chicken Eye
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 19:58 »
Oh HC that's good news :D

sad
Swollen chicken

Started by Honeypots on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 22:39
by joyfull
xx
chicken with a swollen eye PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Started by goldnessy on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 20:49
by Pretty Chick
xx
chicken swollen abdomen

Started by andreas on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 01:10
by hillfooter
xx
Ill chicken with red swollen backside

Started by MelChris on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 16:20
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.