Which make is best?

• 15 Replies

Blobbs

Which make is best?
« on: April 24, 2012, 17:58 »
Hi. We are planning to get about 6 layers from a farmer friend who produces eggs on a comercial basis.

We are going to build a run which is 25 metres on each side . I am considering the henrietta by 2 chickens and a house or the s707l by pet shack. What do all you experts think as to the quality etc of each of these.

The wire is about 6ft high and we will put an electric fence around the perimiter. Do you think that this is sufficiently fox proof if we are back after dark and haven't shut them in the house?

Thankyou.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 18:20 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Which make is best?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 18:21 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I've changed the font in your post from capital letters, as it's really hard to read, and for many people it can be considered to be shouting  :)

I don't know the answers to your questions but hopefully someone will be along soon.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52 »
Welcome to the site Blobbs.   :D

The 2 coops you have mentioned look identical to me so both companies probably buy them in from abroad.  The design looks quite good but I am not sure on the positioning of the perches on the nesting box side.  If the hens roost at night on the top perch they could be pooing into the nest boxes.  There is a second set of perches at the side that has the removeable panel which would make cleaning their poo from under the perches easier.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Blobbs

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 17:01 »
OK. Thankyou. I take your point re the perches on the nest box side and  will bear that in mind when we erect the house. What about the run? Do you think it would be better to divide it into 2 or 4, or just let them potter in the whole thing . Bearing in mind it's a really big run for 6 chicks. I may seem a bit green but I want to get it right given the expense we are going to! TY, Anne.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 17:38 »
Hi Anne did you mean to say each side was 25 metres which would make a 625 sq metre enclosure or is it a 25 metre run of fencing in total which would give you a maximum of 39 sq metre enclosure?

If it is the larger area I would be tempted to only use a section at a time.  Six hens are unlikely to keep grass short in such a large area so you would end up mowing to keep the grass short.  Hens eating long grass can cause impacted crop. 

Electric fence on the boundry is always a good idea.  You could always get an automatic pop hole opener so that your hens would be safe if you can't get back to close them in.

Blobbs

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 18:04 »
Hi. Yes it really was going to be 25m on each side!! But even if I divide it I guess I'll still have to mow the rest if they shouldn't have long grass. The hen house is 1735 x 1016 and will be paved underneath and around the perimiter to prevent poaching. if I divide the run into ,say 4, for rotation, how long do you think the outside fences should be? We can then continue to mow the rest of the paddock, or buy a goat !!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 18:06 »
if you place the hen house in the centre of this 25m x 25m run and have 4 pop holes you can let the hens out in a different section every week giving the ground a chance to recover  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Blobbs

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 18:18 »
Brilliant, thankyou. I thought that way would mean that they always had fresh grass and not too dirty. I'm going to put just 6 in , will that keep it all under control or do I need a few more ? I'm sorry to be a pain but I really want to get this right and the chickens to be happy. TY. Anne.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 19:27 »
If you divide it into quarters each enclosure will be 156.25 sq metres.  Your dividing fences will be approximately 12 metres long each way up to your coop in the centre. 

You might be better buying a large shed instead of a coop.  This can be adapted internally to accommodate the hens and will also be a good shelter for them in bad weather.  You would also be able section an area off to store all their food etc.  Much easier for you to look after in bad weather.  You might want to rethink placing it in the centre of the enclosure to make it easier for you to access.  If you have it on the boundry you can have a door into the shed and another door to access the enclosure.  You will of course need gates to get from one section to the other.

You are doing the main thing which is planning.   :D

Blobbs

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:11 »
Wow, hadn't thought about that approach. I'll dicuss it with my handyman ( O.H.) and see what he thinks.  Why do you think that a large she would be better? I was going to buy the 707L from Super Pet Shack which is quite large.Food storage isn't a problem though as we have a brick building adjacent to where the run will be.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49 »
If the hens will need shelter for bad weather and also from the sun.  You could adapt a shed to be both a coop and shelter.  If you are going to have 4 pop holes to access their different enclosures this might be easier from a shed.  The feed and bedding is heavy so the closer to them the better.  You could also have a compost area close by which will again save you time when cleaning out the coop.

They are just tips and hints for you to consider and adapt to your circumstances.  Most of us have started off then adapted and changed things to suit.   The more ideas you consider the less you might need to change later on.  :)

Blobbs

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 15:10 »
OK.Thankyou.
 Handyman intends to make a sort of  shorter enclosure roun the coop with gates in it to access the runs. He thinks they won't fly but I think they will. They are the sort that commercial egg producers have. Red feathers and quite big but thin.
 If I had some birds for the freezerwhat strain would I need and will they live together with the eggy ones and eat the same food?

I thought that the hens only need bedding in the nest boxes. I've read on this site that shavings are better than straw. What is you opinion?

Begining to think this is a minefield !!
 Anne

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 15:32 »
It is amazing how high they can fly, one of mine flew vertically to a branch 7' off the floor.  ???

You can get commercial breeds just for meat or something like Light Sussex which can be used for meat or eggs.  Meat birds are fed on growers mash/pellets to fill them out.  There are a few members who have meat birds who will advise you more.

I have been using hemcore or bedwell which is much more absorbant than shavings and will compost quicker.  I sprinkle some under the perches to catch their poo and absorb the moisture.  ;)

Blobbs

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 15:51 »
What a good idea to sprinkle some under the perches will def do that. Pity you can't toilet train them!Can't be bothered with a compost heap but will chuck the poo in the council garden bin.  Think we will have to clip their wings as the outside fence will only be about 5ft after we've buried some in the ground.

We were going to put paving slabs under the  house but I think a concrete slab would be better. What do you think?
Think we are now ready start.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 16:46 »
Don't think youn are allowed to put animal poo in your Council green waste so it might be best to check that out.

Concrete base sounds fine.

If you put taller posts in you can have netting above the weldmesh to stop them flying out.

xx
ill never make

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 00:28
by GrannieAnnie
xx
new run! need to make it fun!

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 14:29
by neenyneen
xx
How to make a run more interesting?

Started by ness on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 20:25
by ness
xx
How to make a perch?

Started by Farmer Woosnip on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 08:02
by Sassy

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.