Apple questions

• 7 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Apple questions
« on: January 15, 2019, 13:11 »
Sorry for so many questions

1) I have a family tree (M26) (Jupiter, Jester and Fiesta) also a Balerina (Bolero - wonderful taste)  and 2 M27 Ashmead's Kernel and Pixie.
Are these are spur or tip bearers?  Would most people prune these?  If so when summer and winter?  I don't want them to grow bigger (apart from one of the M27's).
2) Is it possible to store apples inside this year I left 2 bags in the shed and a rat got them!!!
3) Any tips for picking apples from the highest branches - the tree is not strong enough to lean a ladder against it
4) Has anyone tried the super columnar from Chris Bowers?  Are they any good?  Do they really need that much space as they say?

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/guides/apple-trees.php#supercolumn

5) A bit broke of the M27 and I put it a pot to see if it will root any thoughts on this idea?

Lardman

Re: Apple questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 18:06 »
1. Jupiter - Spur , Jester - Spur , Feista - Spur. Boleo - Spur - Ashmeads - Spur  , Pixie - Spur.
If they're big enough summer prune, if you want more growth winter prune.
2. I have a box of mixed apples stored in an unheated utility room this year as a test and they're all fine.
3. Those litter picking tools are handy if long enough, otherwise they sell fruit picking bags on poles. Stay off the ladders - it will only get worse as you get older  ::) You can always reduce the tree height.
4. I've experimented with lots of high density pruning techniques .... unsuccessfully.
5. Off the AK's the Pixie or the M27 stock itself ?

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 20:04 »
1. Jupiter - Spur , Jester - Spur , Feista - Spur. Boleo - Spur - Ashmeads - Spur  , Pixie - Spur.
If they're big enough summer prune, if you want more growth winter prune.
2. I have a box of mixed apples stored in an unheated utility room this year as a test and they're all fine.
3. Those litter picking tools are handy if long enough, otherwise they sell fruit picking bags on poles. Stay off the ladders - it will only get worse as you get older  ::) You can always reduce the tree height.
4. I've experimented with lots of high density pruning techniques .... unsuccessfully.
5. Off the AK's the Pixie or the M27 stock itself ?
Thank you very much
It broke of the Pixie (I think) bit

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 13:37 »
Can I slightly rephrase one of the questions, has anyone tried growing cordon apple trees?  Any thoughts?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 13:44 »
Yes I have some cordons and they are very productive.  I have some that lean at an angle that are trained on posts and wire and 4 which are trained up and over an arch.

It is an old photo, but they look much the same now, as they get pruned every year.  A winter shot gives more idea of how the branches are pruned and how much space they take.

Other that pruning, they get a mulch each winter.  I've just done it for this year with bagged manure from the garden centre.  I'd recommend it as a growing method if you are short of space  :)
IMG_0422.jpg

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 13:47 »
Yes I have some cordons and they are very productive.  I have some that lean at an angle that are trained on posts and wire and 4 which are trained up and over an arch.

It is an old photo, but they look much the same now, as they get pruned every year.  A winter shot gives more idea of how the branches are pruned and how much space they take.

Other that pruning, they get a mulch each winter.  I've just done it for this year with bagged manure from the garden centre.  I'd recommend it as a growing method if you are short of space  :)

Thanks for that, do they get a summer and winter prune?  How much manure do you use?  What root stock is it?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 13:55 »
With cordons you prune in summer for fruit and winter for shape. 

That means you cut back long new growths in summer to form fruiting spurs.  On anything that come from the main trunk, you cut back to 3 buds and 1 bud on a side growth - ish.  I am not fanatical about that.  That gets done late summer as you are getting ready to pick and helps open the tree up so the sun gets to the apples,

In winter you can do the more surgical stuff.  I have taken out some old main branches in the last few weeks to stop the trees getting congested.  Also anything overlapping, weak or sickly looking and in my case, growing into the arch as I still want to be able to get through it.

Each raised bed got a bag of manure each.  I'll chuck some pelleted chicken manure their way over the summer as well.

I can't remember the root stock but I am pretty sure it was M26.  You do need a fairly vigorous rootstock for cordons as you want lots of growth to choose from as you will be cutting a fair bit of it off.

Hope all that helps  :)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 15:52 »
I do like those New Shoots  :D I've coveted your apple arches for a number of years  ::)

Cordons are great for packing lots into a confined space, the disadvantage is yield. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_tree_forms#Yield_and_spacing will give you a guide for fully mature cordons you're looking at 4Kgs vs 25Kgs from an untrained tree.  If you're just after a few kgs of each desert apple they're a very good solution but not so much if you're making cider or have a bad apple pie habit.

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
cox apple

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 19:49
by azubah
xx
PEA QUESTIONS

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 47 queries.