Lost apples!

• 5 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Lost apples!
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:53 »
My apple tree (not sure what type) last year produced an abundance of nice eating apples. This year I had a fair few apples developing in spring/early summer, but these all dropped one by one leaving just two apples at full size on the tree! Then I noticed last week one of those had fallen and I'm left with just a solitary apple!! :(
I don't want to pick it yet as I want at least one I can eat, so I'm looking every day to catch it if it thinks about dropping. :D

Anyone else had similar issues with apples this year or can shed light on why this year may have been a disaster?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Lost apples!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 14:00 »

I protected my solitary apple by enclosing it in a hairnet!  Some apple varieties do have a lean years every so often.

Cheers,   Tony. ;)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

sion01

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 18:42 »
Thats a surprise as I thought that this year was good for apples,well it is in this area anyway.Was the weather bad when the tree was in flower which could stop pollinating insects getting about?If the tree isn't self fertile were you lucky last year that another tree in the locality was cross pollinating with it and that tree might have been cut down?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 22:12 »
Apples can develop the bad habit of biennial fruiting if you let them produce too many fruit in one year. Very few are self fertile so are dependent on other trees nearby and if the weather is wrong just at blossom time you can kiss your harvest goodbye.

I have five apple trees and am surrounded by many others in nearby gardens yet only three have produced a crop this year. The other side of the coin is that I've had so much soft fruit I don't know what to do with it all. It's what makes gardening so much fun.

mrsbean

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 23:14 »
last year the june/july drop took most of my apples. this year i did,nt do a very good job of pruning and have had loads, so much one of the branches has snapped. good luck with the hairnet did it one year with my tomatoes.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25 »
It wasn't that they did not pollinate this year..they did! I had a lot of small apples developing. It's just they ALL dropped rather than just the normal drops you expect in June. " 2 years ago when we had some freak weather I did not get any pollination or fruit, but this year I did, but no apples remained on the tree, which I though was strange.

xx
First apples

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 13:57
by jimroden
xx
Sad apples :-(

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 09:38
by khelashi
xx
what about 'em apples

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 14:15
by jonewer
clip
What apples do I have

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 19, 2016, 17:07
by jaydig

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.