Sweet Potato Time - 2014

• 55 Replies

Trillium

Sweet Potato Time - 2014
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:01 »
Starting a bit earlier this year, mostly due to the fact that a lot of s.p. tubers are slow to sprout and create plants in time.

So, those who are interested in growing their own sweet potatoes, time to get your potato tubers and either soak one end in water, or,  half plant one in moist potting mix. Don't worry if yours sprout quickly; the bigger the 'slip' (sprout) the better.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweet Potato Time - 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:42 »
I'm going to try and find organic tubers this time, as previously mine didn't sprout.  Not sure if they're available at this time of year. 

What sort of light and heat do they need?

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:46 »
Would supermarket bought be ok to use for this, or what would you recommend? Cheers ;)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53 »
Think I've answered my own question and started reading 2013 sweet potato thread. ::)
Thanks Trillium ;)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 16:09 »

What sort of light and heat do they need?

To start out the tuber, almost any sort of light will do. They don't need specific heat at this time, just kept modestly warm to encourage sprouts. Once the sprouts appear, then a non-drafty sunny window is ideal.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:54 »
What sort of a harvest might you expect to get from each tuber you start now?  I love sweet potatoes but never considered that I could grow them ::)
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:26 »
Depends how many "slips" you get from each tuber (it's the rooted shoots which are planted rather than the tuber itself.)
After that, it's a matter of how much space you've got to grow them, and how favourable the growing conditions are.

I've only grown them once because I don't actually like them that much - the attached pictures show just two slips growing in a half-bag of MP compost in my greenhouse in 2011, and the yield from the 2 plants (you'll have to guess - I didn't weigh them!) As you can see a few were a decent size, many were a lot smaller - I think they could have done with more warmth for longer, so I don't think where I am they would do very well outdoors in an average British "summer."
Sweet potatoes 30-6-2011.JPG
Sweet potatoes 19-10-2011.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59 »
how many slips would you roughly get per tuber?

i've had a couple in water for a couple of weeks. they have roots but no slips yet.

i've got roughly 30 square foot to plant up, any ideas how many healthy slips i'll need?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 14:31 »
You can average 3-5 slips per tuber; some tubers will give you more, up to 10 slips but that's a bit to the optimistic side.  Once the tuber sprouts greens, as long as the roots have water or moist soil, the tuber can live up to 3 years. My tuber started last January now has 3 big sprouts on it that I'll pinch back a bit so they're ready for potting up in March.

Spacing at planting time is recommended at 12 - 18" apart with rows about 3' - 4' apart. If planting in raised beds you can plant them closer together but at about 18" equidistant spacings. Like regular potatoes, they tend to grow close to the surface

An important point about sweet potatoes is that they must have heat, and lots of it, for 4 months during growth. They're tropical, so starting them under cloches or in greenhouses is highly recommended, and pretty much keeping them there should net you decent crops.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 19:00 »
The ones I planted up into pots and am keeping in the greenhouse seem to have lost all their leaves - gulp!

I shall have to try and grow some slips from a tuber I think, as I really would like to succeed next year. I think if I grew them in large pots, under cover, then the voles may not win  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 14:43 »
i checked my rooting tubers last night and it looks as if they are starting to rot where they've been in the water.

i've got them half submerged in water, from what i've read this seems normal.

do they usually show signs of rotting in the water or do i need to use less water, or half bury in compost rather than water now they have roots?

think i may get a few more started in case  these go pete tong and or don't give enough slips. best to have too many than not enough.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 16:32 »
My tuber has been in water for over a year and not rotting, so if yours is rotting then possibly the tuber is past its best and needs to be replaced.

Both methods work, but children love to see the water method and progress. First the roots appear, then later the top slips/sprouts start to form. When the sprouts are a good size, you twist them off and pot them up in moist compost or potting mix.

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 17:31 »
sounds like i may have a dud spud then, good job i started early.

may put it in a pot and see what happens and get some more to put in water.

i've left mine standing up in a margarine tub, half filled with water, after seeing a clip on you tube of a similar technique and seems easier than the cocktail stick method. would this be the reason they are starting to rot?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 17:38 »
Oooooooh I'm in!  :D

I thought the thread was really intriguing this year, and my lovely plot neighbour was growing them in a plastic lean-to he's created.

Am going home via supermarket to pick up a tuber for sitting in water...!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 18:25 »
Some people have had trouble getting them to sprout which may be due to them having been treated with chemicals - soaking them overnight in a bucket of cold water may help (no way of knowing whether mine would have sprouted without doing that, but they were pretty quick out of the blocks and at worst it won't do any harm.  ;))

xx
Sweet Potato Time - 2013

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

250 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 15:29
by Trillium
xx
sweet potato

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 16:52
by goodegg
xx
Sweet Potato

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 21:22
by Silkworm
xx
sweet potato

Started by hazlet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 09:05
by hazlet

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 39 queries.