mixed currant jam??

• 8 Replies

Poolfield2

mixed currant jam??
« on: July 14, 2008, 17:14 »
Has anyone made jam using a mixture of red, white and blackcurrants? I have loads of red and white but not so many black so I wanted to pad out the black ones in the jam, will this just mean it doesn't taste right?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
mixed currant jam??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 23:41 »
Lat year I had about 1lb of blackcurrants left over, some brambles but not enough to make a decent amount of jam, so I chopped up a couple of apples and chucked in a packet of dried currants and made a mixed fruit jam.

It didn't set too well, but was VERY nice!  So I say try it, there's no reason for it not to taste nice surely?  And if it doesn't set well, just call it a conserve!!!!    :lol:

Poolfield2

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:48 »
Like your thinking Grannie, it's for the church fete so someone else will suffer the consequences or be really impressed depending on which way it goes :lol:  :lol:

I made raspberry/tayberry jam the microwave method from the recipe page last night and I must admit it worked easily and you don't have to keep an eye on it, you can get on with other jobs while it's cooking. Did it set? Well lets say they might bend the knife :wink:

GrannieAnnie

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:35 »
I've never tried it in the microwave, doesn't it bubble up and boil over the top of the container?

Must have a go.

Trillium

Re: mixed currant jam??
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "Poolfield2"
Has anyone made jam using a mixture of red, white and blackcurrants? I have loads of red and white but not so many black so I wanted to pad out the black ones in the jam, will this just mean it doesn't taste right?

I've had that same problem, but I blend just the black and whites. The whites have more sweetness than distinct taste whereas the reds have a more distinct taste and would compete with the blacks. But if I have a small amount of reds left I'll toss them in so long as they're in the minority count.

Poolfield2

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 23:03 »
No Grannie, you just make it with 1lb of fruit at a time which sounds a fiddle but if you have fruit ripening a bit at a time it is really useful. I used the biggest basin that would fit in the microwave.

I did 3 different jams one after the other in the microwave and it stopped working :evil:  Dragged OH to go and buy a replacement and when we got back the old one worked again.............well I didn't know they had a thermostat thingy to protect them did I? Good job Tesco don't argue when you return stuff :lol:

compostqueen

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 23:05 »
I'd have made some jam in it before I took it back  :twisted:

GrannieAnnie

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 23:27 »
Yeah, you cold have a line of microwaves bubbling gently away with jam in!!

I'll try the microwave one one day!

Charlwood1005

mixed currant jam??
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 16:19 »
I used my bread maker to make the raspberry with a hint of blackcurrant and red currant.  Bread maker excellent but when I took the pan out the paddle (bit at the bottom) stuck, so I gave it a good yank and it feel out, leaving trail of jam over kitchen.

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.