Hardneck Garlic Scapes

• 24 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Hardneck Garlic Scapes
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:47 »
For the last few years I have just been cutting them off and chucking them away.... Well DO NOT!! they are superb chopped and lightly fried then served with pasta.

Lovely nice mild garlic flavour!! I have bags of the things, well I will with 240 bulbs growing :)

cheers
Mark

sclarke624

Re: Hardneck Garlic Scapes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 13:12 »
Would scapes be the leaf bits that stick out, sounds good.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 13:13 »
Scapes are the flowering stems that some varieties produce before the bulbs are ready.

Yes they are lovely.....I like them in stir fries :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 16:11 »
Here's a picture of the scape: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgoyette/633339806/ which you'll want to cut off at this stage and never leave to flower or it hogs all the plant energy.

crh75

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 16:17 »
I always cut mine off and eat them. But I saw a clip from the Isle of White Garlic Farm and they had left them to flower on the elephant garlic. I do not know if they left them on the normal garlic (I would presume not).  Does anybody know if there is a reason for this?  If I had to guess I would say it makes little difference to the elephant garlic bulb and they sell the flower!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 16:23 »
Any one got a nice scrape recipe? im just of to the lotty and will fetch some back. Never tried them.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 16:35 »
I always cut mine off and eat them. But I saw a clip from the Isle of White Garlic Farm and they had left them to flower on the elephant garlic. I do not know if they left them on the normal garlic (I would presume not).  Does anybody know if there is a reason for this?  If I had to guess I would say it makes little difference to the elephant garlic bulb and they sell the flower!

The flower size is great for floral arrangements and its likely they keep the little bulblets which form on the flower for future cropping. The ground bulb size will be a bit smaller than usual but a lot of folk don't want them huge anyway so the grower can make money from every aspect.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 16:47 »
Lovely nice mild garlic flavour!! I have bags of the things, well I will with 240 bulbs growing :)

cheers
Mark

240! and I thought I liked garlic!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 17:04 »
The plan is for the 240 to keep me going for years.. eat half plant half in Sept :)

I am making some of this at the weekend :)

GARLIC SCAPE AND ALMOND PESTO

Makes about 1 cup

10 garlic scapes, finely chopped

1/3 to 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (to taste and texture)

1/3 cup slivered almonds (you could toast them lightly, if you'd like)

About 1/2 cup olive oil

Sea salt

Put the scapes, 1/3 cup of the cheese, almonds and half the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor (or use a blender or a mortar and pestle).  Whir to chop and blend all the ingredients and then add the remainder of the oil and, if you want, more cheese.  If you like the texture, stop; if you'd like it a little thinner, add some more oil.  Season with salt.

If you're not going to use the pesto immediately, press a piece of plastic against the surface to keep it from oxidizing. The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days or packed airtight and frozen for a couple of months, by which time tomatoes should be at their juiciest.

crh75

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 17:21 »
Nice recipe. I might give that a go.

If you put it into jars and then add more oil to cover, it will keep a good while in the fridge. Much easier and more effective than plastic.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 17:24 »
I was going to suggest pesto.  The scapes look lovely on the plants I always think, like heron's necks they say

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 17:57 »
I've got some Aquila Wight, a hardneck variety which should produce scapes - I had forgotten that and I didn't notice any when I was up at the lottie today but I will pop back later to check.  Presumably the softnecks don't have any?

bigben

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37 »
The plan is for the 240 to keep me going for years.. eat half plant half in Sept :)

That sounds a good Idea - I have planted about 160 - is Sept the time to plant them again? I think a lot of mine might be the hard neck garlic which is not supposed to store that well so I might be better using it as seed garlic again. Do you just harvest, dry then replant about Sept?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05 »
When you take the Scape off, do you need to take the whole think off to stop it taking the energy from the bulb? Normally I just nip the flowerhead off, thinking this is enough. Thanks

crh75

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 15:49 »
Taking the tops off is enough to stop them flowering but if you want to eat the scrapes you will want as much as possible, so cut near the leaves.  Personally it seems to go against grow your own principles not to take the whole scrape for the pot!

xx
hardneck garlic scapes

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 15:16
by Trillium
xx
Garlic scapes

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 12:59
by Alifink
clip
hardneck garlic

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2018, 13:04
by mumofstig
xx
Garlic Scapes and how to cook them

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 10:31
by brokenglass

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 40 queries.