Friendly Fox on our plot!!!

• 12 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Friendly Fox on our plot!!!
« on: July 09, 2013, 16:56 »
Hi,  we were tending our plot  last Saturday,  stopped for a break and noticed a full grown Fox not more than 10' away and seemed not to be bothered by our presence, he/she seemed to be looking for food.  Fox stayed around nearby for a good 1/2 hour and would-you-believe-it keeping to the grass pathways between beds.

My question: should we lay down some food?  A lesson learnt! always have a camera ready! we did not.

Mike.

Sparkyrog

Re: Friendly Fox on our plot!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 16:59 »
Absolutely not they can do a lot of damage one the plot !
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 17:01 »
Don't feed it for goodness sake!

They are not plot friendly as they dig holes everywhere - usually under plants you have just planted  :(

I don't think other plot holders would like you to encourage them.

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 17:20 »
We have a pair of foxws on our plots and this year they have raised six cubs. We've seen the whole family out together. The dog fox kills around three pigeons a day. We find the feathers but no carcase.
They are doing more good than harm.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 17:25 »
That's good that you only have positive benefits from your plot foxes, but there have been plenty of posts on here about damage caused to plots and gardens by foxes.

Best to not feed them as it could upset fellow plot holders as MoS says  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 19:35 »
We have people feeding ours on site and they are a pain. Sorry but they cause so much damage and wreck crops.
We also have badgers and someone told me they never share the same area, shame they didnt tell them that.  ::)

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 20:28 »
we have a family of foxes that pass through our vegy garden, so far no harm done (not even digging for the blood fish and bone). i think i may just be lucky as many do have problems with them.

but having said that i wouldn't feed them as they will probably get to pest proportion and once they see it as their territory you'll never be able to get rid of them. that said i do give them the carcase of any pigeons i pop off and i'm sure they tidy up the ones i wing rather than kill.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 22:14 »
As said dont feed it as they will maintain a population level suitable to the available food if they get excess food they will bury it they are also partial to some soft fruits as well You can however get some mange/worming powders from the fox project which is given in a jam sandwich . As I would sooner have one healthy fox in the area than two or three mangey scrappy ones  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

dmg

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 23:15 »
my neighbour has put a cat flap on her shed and the fox sometimes sleeps in the shed on the armchair. She has named her Sasha and will come running when she is shouted as she usually gets fed. She doesn't seem to damage the plots to any extent and keeps the rats down (never seen a live one yet just a couple of 'presents')

Ema

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 23:21 »
They are desperately looking for water in his heat! I assume your plot has plenty of troughs and ponds?

The urban fox is a very confident animal but don't be lured by its beauty they are still pests.

It's a good idea to leave a tray / plant saucer of water out for hedgehogs at the moment if you don't have acessablesponds, their our slug eating friends after all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 23:22 by Ema »

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43 »
If you like them and want one come and take the B that keeps ripping my nets and digging my plot!  >:(

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:12 »
I think this is something you should discuss with your fellow plotholders to be honest. If you feed the fox it'll keep coming back to the same area not just your plot. Personally I get mad when my neighbours feed foxes as I have 2 small children and the foxes have been known to rush up and steal food from other people which I find very concerning - its just a matter of time before a fox scares one of the kids...  :ohmy:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20 »
As a result of foxes on our site, I had to switch from chicken manure, BFB and bonemeal to chemical fertilisers because of the their constant digging up and trashing my plot.  Worse, they got very territorial too and would poop everywhere (definitely not cat poo)  The upside is that the sight didn't suffer from rats or mice.

Having said all that, a section of the site has been cleared (a large wooded area) and this seems to have encouraged them to move on.  I have tentatively been using chicken manure again with fingers crossed.

xx
Friendly cat repelent plants.

Started by RGManby on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:26
by RGManby
xx
Bird friendly netting

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 08:41
by sunshineband
xx
not so gardener friendly black birds

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 18:49
by doubledug
xx
Recommend me your best child friendly herbs

Started by dumbo on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 22:36
by missycat

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 40 queries.