Chicks & feed

• 1 Replies

Pavlodge

Chicks & feed
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:47 »
I have successfully incubated & hatched some chicks for the first time .
I have 5 at 5 weeks old ,6 at 2 weeks & 4 at 1 week .  I started them on Chick feed but.

Q1 . At what stage should they move onto growers ?

Q2. At  what age should I introduce a perch for them to roost on ?

The five week olds are now outside in a small coop on some grass the others are still in boxes indoors under lamps .   .  I have many books & magazines but can't find answers to those 2 questions

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicks & feed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10 »
Hi Pavlodge, Gradually introduce growers pellets in with their chick crumb from 6 weeks old.  Once you know they are coping with the larger feed stop adding the chick crumb.

Perching is more difficult to answer, mine find anything to perch on as they are growing so I do now have a small perch stand that they love.  Even my 5 week olds are now managing to fly up to a tree branch perch in their run encouraged by their Mum.  The thought is that young birds perching too early can end up with a deviation in their breast bone.  I have never noticed this but all my chicks are bantams which may make a difference with them not being a heavy bird.  So if you are intending on showing your birds or they are show quality and selling them you may be better to leave the perch out.  I don't know when it would be classed as safe for them to perch and not risk this but hopefully someone else will have the answer for you.   ;)

Don't forget to add some photos of your chicks as they develop and we can of course have a go at that age old guessing game - "Is it a girl or boy?"   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
what to feed chicks?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:23
by Squibbs
xx
what to feed 9 wk old chicks and their mum!

Started by indigo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:42
by tstainesmoore
xx
Raising chicks, what feed and when?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 13:16
by ANHBUC
xx
What to feed a Broody after chicks have hatched

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.