Propagators?

• 10 Replies

borderowl

Propagators?
« on: March 18, 2012, 22:04 »
Forgive my ignorance being quite a newbie! but are propagators a must when growing  tomatoes etc. from seed? I want to try growing my veg from seed this year instead of buying plants and want to get them going early to lengthen the season. Any advice over heated or unheated ones or do you really need them? thanks Kev

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Propagators?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 22:06 »
No you don't need them.

I've been growing tomatoes for over 40 years and the most I've used is a plastic bag.

That's not to say you can't use them, but I can think of other thing to spend my money on.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03 »
The only seeds I ever use a heated propagator for are aubergines and chillis, and anything that is basicaly tropical that I am attempting to grow here  :blink: :unsure:

Tomatoes, celelry etc germinate just fine i the greenhouse, which is warm enough

If I had a heated airing cupboard I would just use that instead

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:50 »

I use the blue plastic trays in which mushrooms are sold, (holes burnt in the bottom with a soldering iron).  There are clear plastic trays that are a close fir to use as lids and keep the moisture content high.    ::)  Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

stompy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23 »
I use a prop for my toms, chillies, peppers, cucumbers and mellons.
I get a good strong germination and due to that the seed husks are usually thrown from the seed leaves so there's no leaf scorch.

You certainly don't need one, but if you can get one, and they start very cheaply at around £10 to £15, then i personally would.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 14:46 »
I have an unheated one and find it useful on a windowsil above a radiator to get things kick started. I tend to use if for Chillis and one or two other crops. You could of course just us a plastic bag like DD. I have not needed to resort to a heated propagator.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 15:44 »
When you're practiced in the art of inflating it and quickly sealing it, you can do this with a re-sealable bag.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 17:26 »
I've rather belatedly decided to grow some chillies, and have just got the seeds.  I have an ordinary propagator, i.e. one with a clear lid that with a variable ventilator ... will that be ok?  Obviously I'll keep it inside for now rather than in the greenhouse, but there'll still be a variation in temperature between daytime and night time and whether the heating's on or not.  Is there an optimum temperature for the propagation of chillies?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 19:47 »
Chillis to like it consistently warm for good germination -- around 18C

and they do need a long growing season, so the sooner they are in the more chnace you will have of a good crop  :D

borderowl

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 23:17 »
Thanks for the help folks! I take it an airing cupboard works just fine then? I thought there might be an issue with the lack of light? but not to worry that's saved me dishing the dosh! regards Kev. PS. anybody need some rain? we've plenty up here! :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:34 »
If you use an airing cupboard, keep a very, very close eye on them and have them out as soon as they come up, they can streak away in a few hours at those temperatures.

I find room temperature in a plastic bag more than adequate, even for peppers and chillies - just ask Mrs Digger who would like her kitchen window sill back!

xx
propagators???

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Kristen
xx
Propagators

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:34
by mashauk
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
heated propagators or non heated propagators

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 15:07
by Shop Keep

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.