Compost steaming

• 22 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Re: Compost steaming
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 23:18 »
I mix a good handfull of sawdust from my circular bench saw with each mower box of cuttings. It stopps the grass turning into a slimy lump and helps air circulation.
Nettles get stuffed into an old onion sack then put in a water butt for liquid feed. It niffs a bit but is the dogs danglers.
The last time I checked my main hot bin it was 74c. turned once a month since april.
Explain further ie your hot bin. 74c is very very high. How do you measure it?

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 11:11 »
I have some old temp guages that I wombled years ago that reach down into the centre of the pile with ease. Please note my main hot bin is the pallet type and not a darlek. I have two of these bins side by side. I start one by layering horse muck green waste darlec contents topped with fine bark chippings. layers are 3" ish thick. once full to the top I cover with plack plastic and let it stew for around 6 weeks.  As it shrinks I add more. After 6 weeks I turn it out into the second bin adding garrota as I go. I repeat this every 4 weeks or so till June then let it settle.
May the fork be with you

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 22:09 »
I will have about 9 bags (equal to large carrier bags) by tomorrow. I wouldn't say it was well matured. Should I compost it with ?? Or just leave it in a pile open to the element

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 22:17 »
Mix it in with your compost the heat will go up then
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 07:43 »
I will have about 9 bags (equal to large carrier bags) by tomorrow. I wouldn't say it was well matured. Should I compost it with ?? Or just leave it in a pile open to the element
That should have read I will have about 9 bags (equal to large carrier bags) of HORSE MANURE by tomorrow. I wouldn't say it was well matured. Should I compost it with ?? Or just leave it in a pile open to the element
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:46 by cc »

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46 »
That should have read I will have about 9 bags (equal to large carrier bags) of HORSE MANURE by tomorrow. I wouldn't say it was well matured. Should I compost it with ?? Or just leave it in a pile open to the element

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 13:54 »

Thanks I will do it at the next turning.
I have 4 compost bins but there 2 for sale (ebay) 99p no bids failed to sell first time. Seller offering delivery for £7.50. Not sure I need more!?
I am instead tempted to go for a tumbler. Higher tempreture equals death to weed seeds and maybe even bind weed?

trunk monkey

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 13:17 »
Nitro cgalk acts as a good accelerator for compost and is cheaper than garrotter.

xx
steaming compost

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 00:13
by Yorkie
xx
Steaming Success!

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 17:40
by whippersnapper
xx
Sweet Corn?? Popping and/or steaming??

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2017, 17:02
by arh
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.