Which Pumpkins?

• 16 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Which Pumpkins?
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:09 »
I want to give Pumpkins a shot this year, ive already bought some Rouge Vif d'etampes seeds (10 I think) but was wondering if there are any other good veriety people have tried?
Im growing for eating as apposed to haking up to put a candle in lol :D
Thanks for any advice!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Which Pumpkins?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31 »
The ones you already have are my favourite for eating. 

Are you growing squash as well?  I would maybe go for that rather than more pumpkins.  They store better and have a huge range of textures and tastes on offer  :)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05 »
The ones you already have are my favourite for eating. 

Are you growing squash as well?  I would maybe go for that rather than more pumpkins.  They store better and have a huge range of textures and tastes on offer  :)

Iver never grown squash befor, any suggestions on what to try? :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42 »
I can recommend Flat White Boer as a good eater. Dense flesh with a smallish cavity, gorgeous roasted.

And of course Thelma Sanders Squash too, very prolific, lovely flavour and smallish fruits.

Both store extremely well, right through to May most years
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 14:29 »
As Sunny has already nicked one of my favs, Thelma Sanders, I'll add another couple :D

Uchiki Kuri aka Red Kuri
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds-1/Winter_2/Squash-Winter-Uchiki-Kuri-Organic-Seeds.html#.WHTs2mdvjIU

and Celebration
Celebration- Fothergills

(Just a thought, if you do grow Uchiki Kuri and it is supplied with a white corky layer on the seed - it germinates quicker if you pick off the white layer with a pin, or something like that)

There are plenty of suppliers for both of these, not just the above links.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 14:33 by mumofstig »

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 19:49 »
Crown Prince, New England Pie, Small Sugar, Baby Bear, Muscade de Provence, Buttercup.  CP would be the one if I could only choose one 😄

I grow lots of varieties as they are a hobby of mine, along with chillies 🤗  I grow to eat! Not for lanterns 😧

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:48 »
Okay.... Im pretty sure this is what I have ordered so far:

Squash:
Crown Prince
Waltham Butternut

Pumpkins:
New England Pie
Tom Fox
PATTY DOUX POTIRON
Asian Curry
Rouge Vif d’etampes

Have I got the Squash/Pumpkin classification correct?
I never realised there so similar... ive only had experiance with butternut squash....

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04 »
Butternuts are always good for me but the star performer last year was the Delicata winter squash. Small, striped fruits produced in abundance with a delicious, sweet butternut flavour. Roasted you can eat the skin, I served them up like that as part of Christmas dinner and everyone loved them. They are popular in the USA but not well known here....yet!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:06 »
Looking at a picture of Asian Curry pumpkin, it looks more like a squash to me, but its not a variety I know.

Squash and pumpkins grow pretty much the same way and you seem to have gone from novice grower to amassing an impressive collection very fast.  Welcome to the seedaholics club   :lol:

BTW your chooks will love the seeds and spongy flesh you discard from the centre of any fruits you grow ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 13:46 »
I grew a couple of naked seed varieties this summer gone, and the seeds were good enough to eat raw and made a fabulous addition to breads etc too.

The flesh is a bit stringy for my liking but I shall grow them again for the seeds .. my daughter's chickens will get the flesh again:

Lady Godiva & Kakai

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 13:58 »
Looking at a picture of Asian Curry pumpkin, it looks more like a squash to me, but its not a variety I know.

It'll probably be a Kabocha squash and very nice they are too :)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 19:53 »
Okay, I've given in..... I think this will be the year of the squash and pumpkin!  I had already planned on using various squash seeds I had stashed away ( Autumn Crown, Queensland Blue, Burgess Buttercup, Cream of the crop, Sunburst and Hunter)  I have just ordered from Baker Creek (aka rare seeds) another 6.... Jumbo Pink Banana, Blue banana (Guatemalan), Rouge Vif d'Etampes, Flat White Boer, Thelma Sanders, and Delecata.  Last year was hopeless, slugs and snails devoured everything I put out and my total haul was: no courgettes, 9 Jack be little and 1 small Queensland Blue.  My plan is to go UP with as many as possible and stick to maybe 2 of each variety.  I also need to get my head around how each of them is cooked!  Bring it on

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 20:06 »
I grow my plants to quite a big size before they go out (2L pot usually).  That way they are starting to get prickly and are less attractive to slugs.  Then once planted out, they get a wood ash and blue pellets of doom protection area around each.

My main pests are the deer we have wandering through our site.  They love squash leaves, so I have to grow them behind a post and netting fence.  Reading seems to be muntjac central.  I even had them in our front garden last year and they chewed my armenian yard long cucumber plants down to the pots.  They were growing up an arch, so I thought they were safe  :mad:

As for cooking - roasting is the way for me :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 20:19 »
Okay, I've given in..... I think this will be the year of the squash and pumpkin!  I had already planned on using various squash seeds I had stashed away ( Autumn Crown, Queensland Blue, Burgess Buttercup, Cream of the crop, Sunburst and Hunter)  I have just ordered from Baker Creek (aka rare seeds) another 6.... Jumbo Pink Banana, Blue banana (Guatemalan), Rouge Vif d'Etampes, Flat White Boer, Thelma Sanders, an Delicata. Bring it on

Woo Hoo! Welcome to the dark side lol

Mr Dog

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20 »

Squash and pumpkins grow pretty much the same way and you seem to have gone from novice grower to amassing an impressive collection very fast.  Welcome to the seedaholics club   :lol:

BTW your chooks will love the seeds and spongy flesh you discard from the centre of any fruits you grow ;)

Ooooo no, give the chooks the fleshy stuff by all means but not the seeds. Roast them with a sprinkling of chilli and salt, then eat yourself!

xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
any one else's pumpkins going bad

Started by naturesparadise on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 12:35
by diggerjoe
xx
How big should my pumpkins be??

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 08:04
by lacewing

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 41 queries.