Can you tell me what this is ?? (picture)

• 18 Replies

fatcat1955

Re: Can you tell me what this is ?? (picture)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47 »
Place a bamboo cane next to the bindweed and train it up the cane. Mix glyphosphate and pour into a jam jar. Slide the bindweed off the cane and immerse in the weedkiller, cover the top of the jar to keep out rain and leave for 4 weeks. Hey presto no more bindweed or roots.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43 »
I would spend a couple of hours when you next have  chance taking all the roots you can out of your compost heap before it has a chance to take hold. I tend to burn my bind weed (and other perenial) roots and use the ash - Just make sure it is totally burnt.
We had a lot of bind weed when i started on my allotment but if you keep pulling it out as you see it is does get better.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Lillibet

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 14:05 »
Place a bamboo cane next to the bindweed and train it up the cane. Mix glyphosphate and pour into a jam jar. Slide the bindweed off the cane and immerse in the weedkiller, cover the top of the jar to keep out rain and leave for 4 weeks. Hey presto no more bindweed or roots.

When we had a garden we found this was the most effective way of getting rid of the bindweed. Our garden looked like we were cultivating bamboo canes though we had so much of it!!! I can offer two pieces of advice based on this method:
1. Pop something on top of the canes so you don't poke your eye out when bending over.
2. Be careful with the bindweed touching your skin as I come out in an unpleasant itchy rash if it touches me.

Hope this helps.  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 14:52 »

:D what a clever idea - I have noticed how bindweed clamber up posts and bushes but never thought of training them and then immersing them in jars of weedkiller. 

xx
picture

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2006, 09:50
by John
xx
Picture of my new plot...

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 22:37
by splodger
xx
Can anyone post picture of

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 22:09
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Funny parsnip picture

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 07:35
by Lottiman

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.