New chicken - WW3!

• 8 Replies

Jane Vennik

New chicken - WW3!
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:12 »
Help!  Have just introduced a new hen into the coop and have set the cat amongst the pidgeons!   We had 3 chickens of which 2 were more dominant.  In order to redress the balance, in  my wisdom I bought another of similar size but a few months younger (POL).  Have had to separate them as the new one is being pecked and chased around the pen.  I did introduce  her into the coop at nighttime which seemed OK but this morning things deteriorated.  Should I just leave them to sort it out or is there anything else that can be done?

Many thanks

Jane

WG.

New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:20 »
I don't keep chooks but I seem to remember reading on here that you should partition the pen with wire for some time so that the new bird can be seen by the others before being introduced.

Await expert input though.

Bodger

New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:41 »
Fights through wire cause far more damage than just a straight forward fight in the open. Feet and far more seriously beaks get damaged as the birds strike at each other through the wire.

I'd put the birds together again and only intervene if one of the birds is getting REALLY damaged. Be prepared for some really aggressive behaviour as the pecking order is established and fingers crossed things will eventually settle down. Best of luck. :D

WG.

New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:45 »
Ah, okay.  Thanks Bodger.  I'll get back to GYO where I belong  :wink:

Bodger

WG
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:08 »
You aint put that free plug on yet :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 15:56 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I'm of the opposite camp to Bodger but because I have a very limited amount of space to keep my hens in.  

When I introduced my new hen I divided their run in half using horizontal garden canes through the weld mesh sides.  It worked like a dream and they are now best of friends.  

In confined quarters the bloodshed can be  :shock: but if the space is large enough for the new hen to get away from the established girls it would be quite safe.

I wrote about my experience on the Omlet forum here:

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12688

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 17:11 »
I'd agree with Aunt Sally if you have a small area - and be careful even when you do reintroduce them because one of our newbies still had a small wound from an initial attack and unfortunately she was absolutely ripped apart when we out her back in and we had to put her down (that's another story  :( ).

My neighbours found a solution - they moved their existing run to a different place and put new and old chickens in together - seemed to work because none of them had prior claim to the territory. It is a pretty big run though.

Hope all goes well for you  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 17:19 »
Yes FG, it is often a good idea to make the old girls into the newbies by giving the new ones the original area on their own for a while.

Jane Vennik

New chicken - WW3!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 14:41 »
Thank you for your advice.  I have fenched off an area for the new girl within the chicken area of the garden and things are alot calmer!    Will try again in a few days.  Thanks for the advice!  jane

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken help

Started by lisawr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 20:30
by themagicaltoad1
clip
chicken run

Started by candymancan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:31
by Aliparty
xx
Help, which is the right chicken?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.