Pea experiment

• 6 Replies

Robster

Pea experiment
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:09 »
Felt ham First early peas.  I sowed some outside and about the same time some in root trainers and kept in a cold green house.

Outside sown.  Germinated more slowly not surprisingly.  Germination rate about 70% would be my guess.  They were well protected from as many pests as I could think of.  They have grown on slowly and are pale green and about two inches tall.

Indoor sown.  germination about 90%.  Planted out at 2 inches.  Got away quickly and are now 8-10 inches and a richer green than the others.

Pros and cons.  Root trainer sown was clearly better in terms of the state of the plants today.  But it is a very inefficient way of growing and quite labour intensive.  If you want to grow a lot of peas then direct sowing would be the only way for sure.  When nothing else is in the root trainers I'm not losing time with other crops.  And as I don't count the labour hours as work I'm ok with that.  My guess is that the outside sown will be later to crop which in a way suggests you do both to get a succession of peas.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:14 »
If Spring is warm and early I sow outside, if it's cold and late (like this year) then I sow some inside  ;)

It all depends just how many peas you want to grow  :D

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:42 »
I do 4 rows of shorter peas and direct sow these, but not too early.  Mine are just showing through now, having been sown about 10 days ago.  100% germination by the looks of things.

I also grow a smaller quantity of tall peas that I grow up chicken wire draped over an A frame arrangement.   This takes approx 40 plants.  This year I have sown these in modules, hardened off and planted out.  I have got different varieties on each side of the frame.  I planted these out on Thursday after hardening off.

I did this last year and in the end productivity was very similar.

If pushed for space I would do all as direct sown.  However, I have a couple of varieties from Heritage Seed Library this year and wanted to make sure they didn't rot or get eaten by a mouse as you are not given many!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 16:04 by AnneB »

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:40 »
My soil is heavy and cold so I sow peas inside. Then when I plant them out, I sow in the bottom of the trench made to plant the plants. That way I get a longer crop and the soil has warmed up more before sowing them outside.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 16:22 »
I start peas off in guttering in my glass greenhouse. You can just see them in this photo on the left hand side of the greenhouse on the right.
greenhouses 003.JPG
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 16:33 »
I can't sow direct as mice eat them all. I have tried covering with things to keep them off but it doesn't work. I therefore have to sow indoors to stand a chance of getting peas.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 17:25 »
I sow my peas in root trainers. 5 peas to a module, plant 1 module every 4 inches staggered in a double row as soon as the first leaves have expanded, about 2 inches high. By then the roots fill the modules. 32 modules plant a 10 ft row. They could be spaced further apart but I like plenty of plants.

xx
Experiment

Started by scott87 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 13:37
by mumofstig
xx
The Experiment!

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 10:19
by HHH
xx
Tomato experiment

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33
by J_B
clip
This/Next years experiment.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2020, 10:51
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 36 queries.