sowing parsnips in may

• 11 Replies

myplot

sowing parsnips in may
« on: April 24, 2015, 19:27 »
Hi,

I want to try parsnips this year and I was chatting to a guy on our plot who each year has a fantastic crop of parsnips, not oversized or too small but just right. Best on the site. Anyway asked him what variety he sows and his reply was 'the cheapest and what I can get on the day'

but what was most interesting was he always sows . each and every year, the first few days of May. He says they only take about two weeks to germinate

Does anyone else sow this late and have success

m1ckz

Re: sowing parsnips in may
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 19:31 »
mine went in last week   normal time for me

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 19:38 »
After a lot of experience on 'snips (husband loves them) I always 'late' sow - direct not chitted.

It makes all the difference when the soil is warmed, and saves the 'Shall I? Shan't I?" resowing question that puts you back anyway.

Edit too :- I always make sure my seeds are fresh - cheap is great but not a bargain if they are older stock and don't germinate due to deterioration.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 19:41 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 19:40 »
I can't see why you wouldn't have success. So long is you keep the ground moist, they'll germinate. I haven't been able to sow mine yet. Might not be able to for another month, but I'm expecting them to grow, even if they don't grow absolutely enormous.

Sounds like the guy on your site might be one to follow. After all, he's growing in much the same conditions as you, I imagine.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 20:53 »
I am with your allotment neighbour myplot.   I had no success whatsoever until I started to direct sow in the first week in May.  It seems late, but crops germinate very well, are not delayed and completely lovely.  First week in May for me from now on.

myplot

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 21:34 »
Thanks all  :D

Probably next weekend for me then, fingers crossed

I am with your allotment neighbour myplot.   I had no success whatsoever until I started to direct sow in the first week in May.  It seems late, but crops germinate very well, are not delayed and completely lovely.  First week in May for me from now on.

He also hasn't sown any of the brassica family yet, says he's going to next week. This year I'm able to spend a lot more time at the allotment so even though I've been there (struggling) 9 years and him longer I've never had the chance for a proper chat. His allotment always looks very productive and I never dreamt that held back on some of the sowing. I have always felt behind because it seems everyone else by the end of March say to me ' haven't you sowed that yet'

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43 »
By that time the ground should be a bit warmer, and due to circumstances in the past, I have sown things rather late but they always catch up.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

green_lolly

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 16:10 »
This had made me feel a little better - I've hardly sown anything yet and thought I was going to be too late.
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 16:31 »
 I remember reading somewhere that parsnips like it warm to germinate and cool to grow. Hence late sowing is "good" but hot summers are "bad" (everything is relative). So if you sow too early (when the soil is cold) they're less likely to germinate successfully.

Hence the suggestion to chit them which is in relative warmth.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49 »
Looking back over my diary from last year, I sowed early May but they failed to germinate (mainly because weeds swamped them) so resowed mid June and still got a decent crop of parsnips.

Eblana

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:02 »
I found the label from my last years crop and I sowed on the 6th June and got a lovely crop.  I also checked in Klaus Laitenberger's book (which is my bible as it is for Irish growing conditions) and he recommends sowing in May.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 16:25 »
I do think that the information included on the back of the packet of Parsnips is very misleading: it indicates you can sow in February  :ohmy:

Crikey, not round here you can't, and I am fairly well South   ::)

Since I have started sowing later (ie around now), germination has been much more reliable.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Re-sowing of parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:10
by Steveharford
xx
Sowing Parsnips - in May?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 20:11
by Beetroot Queen
xx
sowing parsnips

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2019, 12:24
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Too late for sowing parsnips?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 22:45
by Soggy bottom

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 39 queries.