Re: Onions from seed - 2015

• 378 Replies

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #270 on: April 24, 2015, 19:25 »
Oh no, I threw mine because I figured they shouldnt look like that. Never done them from seed and thought they should be bigger and stood up more opppssss  :blush:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #271 on: April 24, 2015, 19:47 »
I don't know whether they should be like that either! I just needed the space! :nowink: :nowink:
Anne

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #272 on: April 24, 2015, 19:51 »
I don't know whether they should be like that either! I just needed the space! :nowink: :nowink:

Mine were the same, I was too embarrassed to ask incase everyone laughed at me. Havent got my old gal badge yet  :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2015, 19:54 »

Mine were the same, I was too embarrassed to ask incase everyone laughed at me. Havent got my old gal badge yet  :blush:

Silly girl, we wouldn't have laughed. I've not grown shallots from seed but have done onions. Scrap that I grew banana shallots once, I think I planted them out when the roots were filling the module I'd sown them into.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2015, 07:19 »
Mine are out. Half were planted into a raised bed at home last week and the other half went out on the plot yesterday.

They must be getting well watered in today  ::)  It's pouring down here  :lol:

ryetek

« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2015, 12:13 »
Yesterday I planted out 80 Santero onions that have been grown from seed. In my opinion they have not done nearly as well as last year. I've got 80 plants from 160 seeds sown. Last year I got 50 (Bedfordshire Champion) from 80 sown.

Will have to see how they go!

They must be getting well watered in today  ::)  It's pouring down here  :lol:

Snap. Same here  :D

AnneB

« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2015, 08:59 »
Mine are out now.   Germination not very good this year, not sure why, did them under heat as usual in January. 

The Yellow Rynsburger did OK as did the Roscoff pink ones.   Long Red Florence and Zebrune shallot managed to produce a whole 1 onion each from around 30 of each sown.   The LRF were brand new seed and the Zebrune only a year old.  Bit cross about that and have had to supplement with some Longor sets.

I will sow some Blood Red Holland Redmate spring onions and let a few run on larger (they do that quite well) to make up for the LRF failure.

Snoop

« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20 »
The Yellow Rynsburger did OK as did the Roscoff pink ones.   Long Red Florence and Zebrune shallot managed to produce a whole 1 onion each from around 30 of each sown.   The LRF were brand new seed and the Zebrune only a year old.  Bit cross about that and have had to supplement with some Longor sets.

As I understand it, seeds generally produce a single shallot. If you want clumps, you need to plant sets.

I have had some round-type shallots grown from seed split. However, each one is so small that a single larger one is more useful in the kitchen.

cadalot

« Reply #278 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47 »
OK I may have done a stupid thing but I transplanted by blades of grass into vending machine cups and some of them appear to bucked up, my plan is to let them beef up a little before letting them become slug food on the allotment, they just look so pathetic and small.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:54 by cadalot »

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #279 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51 »
Anne, shallots from seed are meant to produce one bulb in the first year, it's the second year they divide.

Think about the sets you planted, they are a year old already and you are growing them in the 2nd year!

Don't throw them, plant them next year and you'll be drowning in shallots.

edit: Also, Long Red Florence are not a shallot, they are an heritage onion from Italy, that can be used as both a spring onion or allowed to grow on to an elongated bulb.
I only know as I am growing them myself for the first time this year from seed so have been having a read about the web!

edit 2: I just re-read your post, apologies... I now understand you had germination failures not failed to get more than one bulb per seed!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:17 by Bohobumble »

Salmo

« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2015, 11:07 »
Anne, shallots from seed are meant to produce one bulb in the first year, it's the second year they divide.

Think about the sets you planted, they are a year old already and you are growing them in the 2nd year!

Do shallots from seed split in  the second year or do they go to seed? If they do not go to seed how are new seed produced.

Several people have talked about this but has anyone done it?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:13 by Salmo »

AnneB

« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2015, 13:07 »

As I understand it, seeds generally produce a single shallot. If you want clumps, you need to plant sets.

I have had some round-type shallots grown from seed split. However, each one is so small that a single larger one is more useful in the kitchen.
Snoop, I have only produced 1 single shallot in total from the 30 odd that I have sown.  I wasn't expecting them to multiply straight from seed.

Eblana

« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2015, 13:11 »
Mine went into the ground yesterday, I am half expecting to go to the plot tomorrow and find them washed down the hill the amount of rain we have had here last night and this morning.

AnneB

« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2015, 13:11 »

edit: Also, Long Red Florence are not a shallot, they are an heritage onion from Italy, that can be used as both a spring onion or allowed to grow on to an elongated bulb.
I only know as I am growing them myself for the first time this year from seed so have been having a read about the web!

edit 2: I just re-read your post, apologies... I now understand you had germination failures not failed to get more than one bulb per seed!
I know Long Red Florence is an onion and not a shallot, it's just that both they and the Zebrune shallots didn't germinate other than a solitary seed for each out of 30.  Sorry my shorthand made it sound as if I thought they were both shallots.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2015, 20:30 »
My Bedford Champ and Ailsa Craig are very grasslike - some have been in unheated GH, some have been in modules in sheltered spots, some have had weak tom feed. Two different types of compost. Not great germination rates.

I'm not sure I'll have one that will win the inaugural allotment site competition.

Reminds me of that play: 'Much Faffing About Nothing'  :(

I may yet be surprised I guess...   
On a less downbeat note - do any of you reuse your onion bed year on year - I understand that is what most competitive onion growers do.

Pip pip,
Balders

xx
Onions from seed

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:42
by AndyRVTR
xx
Onions TRYING to go to seed

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 14:05
by Growing4mykids
xx
Onions - from seed

Started by Jamrock on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 09:39
by LilacSandy
xx
onions from seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 09:35
by JayG

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 39 queries.