peanuts

• 16 Replies

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
peanuts
« on: September 30, 2010, 20:24 »
anyone ever tried to grow the peanut plant and where do ya get the seeds?? :blink:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: peanuts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 21:12 »
The search facility is a wondrous thing:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=33948
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=15291.0

These are two threads for starters  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 22:55 »
Don't talk to me about peanut plants!! Someone near me feeds the squirrels "monkey nuts" (in the shell) and they spend their waking hours burying them in pots or the raised beds or anywhere really. (That's when they're not digging up the bulbs) Then some of them grow and you wonder what they are until you realise....yes....it's a peanut plant! They seem to germinate pretty easily so you shouldn't have any probs!! :D

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 22:59 »
Don't talk to me about peanut plants!! Someone near me feeds the squirrels "monkey nuts" (in the shell) and they spend their waking hours burying them in pots or the raised beds or anywhere really. (That's when they're not digging up the bulbs) Then some of them grow and you wonder what they are until you realise....yes....it's a peanut plant! They seem to germinate pretty easily so you shouldn't have any probs!! :D
I'm actually heartened to know I'm not the only one who finds peanuts germinating all over the place!!!
Weirdest things that i keep finding 'buried' in my plant pots are EGGS! Yes, regular, from the shop eggs!!!
I presume its a fox but i can't for the life of me figure where they are getting them from!!

Peanuts on the other hand... I've never allowed them to grow to full plant sized, but am v curious now whether you could get a crop of them!!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 23:10 »
I get young acorn sprouts all over the place, and we don't have any oak trees around us. The little devils must be doing cross country runs to bury them at my place.  >:(

savbo

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:33 »
I get young acorn sprouts all over the place, and we don't have any oak trees around us. The little devils must be doing cross country runs to bury them at my place.  >:(
In UK acorns sprouting are usually hidden by Jays, squirrels bite out the germ bit of the acorn before they bury them...is that the same over there?

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 14:42 »

Weirdest things that i keep finding 'buried' in my plant pots are EGGS! Yes, regular, from the shop eggs!!!

I always thought eggs came from chicken and ducks, etc...... 8)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 15:11 »
I've no idea what squirrels do with acorns. I assumed they just buried the whole thing for future needs. I know they bury whole peanuts with casings as I've dug up enough around here to sell at a baseball game. Jays seem to pound peanut shells to release the nuts and then fly to the ground to retrieve them.
As for the acorn saplings, I missed one and in spring I have to deal with a 3 footer  :blink:

TheSpartacat

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 21:45 »

I always thought eggs came from chicken and ducks, etc...... 8)
Hahaha!
Well these ones had best before dates stamped on them, so those must be clever birds!

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 00:05 »
sorry you all seemed to digress i want to know is it a easy thing and where can i buy good seed? :unsure:

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 00:28 »
The first responder to your question included a couple of links to other threads which in turn included some links to some useful information, more so the first thread.  It fascinated me as I didn't have a clue that you got the nuts from UNDER the ground.  It's so bizarre to me that I might give it a go myself.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 19:19 »
Robin, have a look at Yorkie's links- they answer your question very well I think

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 19:46 »
Have a google for "Tanganyika groundnut scheme" to give a picture of the trials and tribulations, perils and pitfalls of peanut growing. They do seem to need plenty of water, so not a problem today.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

andy135

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 22:55 »
Have a google for "Tanganyika groundnut scheme" to give a picture of the trials and tribulations, perils and pitfalls of peanut growing. They do seem to need plenty of water, so not a problem today.

I don't think you'll get those problems in your neck of the woods, mate!  :lol:

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35 »
I don't think you'll get those problems in your neck of the woods, mate!  :lol:

Quite so it just highlights how what seems initially to be a good plan can turn out in an unexpected way. Like my Jerusalem artichokes. :D

xx
Peanuts

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 13:48
by lucywil
clip
Peanuts!

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 03:02
by tosca100
xx
peanuts

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 21:55
by WG.
xx
Peanuts

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 13:50
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 39 queries.