My pea thread

• 6 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
My pea thread
« on: January 15, 2018, 07:08 »
As mentioned in another topic, I've now updated the thread as Photomuckit no longer allow file sharing with a free account. Photos are now posted directly in the thread. I've also taken the opportunity to weed out some posts that went a little off course from the original. I hope it's not disjointed now!

You can find it here:

DD's pea advice in Growing FAQs and other Information - Page 1 of 3
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: My pea thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:16 »
Thank you DD. Always helpful to be advised/reminded of a method that works by He Who Knows  :D :D :D

Do you knw if chilli powder deters mice please? We have a plague of mice and voles of biblical proportions and they steal the semi-spent seed from under the ground, severing the stem in the process = death to the plant
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24 »
Do you know if chilli powder deters mice please?

I have to be honest and say that I don't know. I've never had cause to have to use it (fortunately!).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:28 »
Do you know if chilli powder deters mice please?

I have to be honest and say that I don't know. I've never had cause to have to use it (fortunately!).

I hope you never do! I am working on the principle that if chilli powder renders bird seed unpalatable to squirrels, it could have a similar effect on their rodent cousins I just hope it is effective as the lost so many crops this past season, peas (of course) beetroot, lots of carrots and then thanks to rats, lots of potatoes and even parsnips, which have never been touched before. :( :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 18:32 »
on the subject of growing peas which is the best way to grow peas direct sowing in the ground or in pots then plant out when there big enough

I always grow my peas up canes or wire netting so how come  commercial field grown peas crop well without sticking or netting be nice to know what varieties they field grow and how do those bugs get inside the pea pods
are peas worth growing when you see how much a bag of frozen cost

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 18:36 »
on the subject of growing peas which is the best way to grow peas direct sowing in the ground or in pots then plant out when there big enough

If you read the thread I'm referring to, you'll see my comments on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 18:37 by DD. »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 14:12 »
Just as a matter of interest, I have been reading Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book from 1978. She recommends the best way to cook peas is boil them in their pods, then serve them with melted butter in a separate bowl. You dip the pod into the butter and nibble out the peas and the outside of the pod. If that's too grand for you shell the peas but keep the pods to puree or make soup.
She's politically incorrect, nowadays, with her use in many recipes of lashings of butter and cream, but it fair "makes your teeth water". You can still get the book on Abebooks if you're interested.

xx
Another 'what-is-it' thread

Started by WirralWally on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 23:16
by weeeed
xx
Who knows where this thread is?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:37
by Snap Dragon
xx
Another potato thread lol

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 20:05
by Nogger
xx
Another tommy thread.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 10:26
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 42 queries.