Newbie - just been offered allotment

• 14 Replies

Squeako

Newbie - just been offered allotment
« on: January 16, 2011, 17:35 »
Hi all,

After 3 years on the waiting list, I've finally been offered an allotment!  Went to look at it today, and need some advice please...

It's a 150 sqm plot, on a south facing hill.  Unfortunately the bottom third of the plot will be shaded for much of the day by a large tree in a neighbouring park (didn't think to check what type of tree, though it's deciduous and I remember seeing brown 'clumps' at the end of each branch).  Looks like it was recently cultivated (there's a patch about 10x10m which has relatively light grass/weeds - can see the soil in parts).

Is the shade a problem, and are there sufficient veggies/herbs that will grow there?  To be honest, as there seem to be no sheds on the site it'll be good to have some shade for us to contemplate our progress.  Before I accept the plot I wanted to check whether there was anything else I should consider...

Thanks in advance for any advice!  After 3 years of waiting I really don't want to turn it down, but also don't want to take on an allotment that will be very un-productive.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie - just been offered allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 17:45 »
Welcome to the site Squeako  :D

I'm going to move this post over to the Grow Your Own forum as that's where the veggie people hang out.

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum to tell us a bit about yourself and for a proper hello, if you want to  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 17:52 »
Rhubarb, leaf plants (e.g. spinach, lettuce, leaf beet) and some fruit bushes (not gooseberries) aren't too fussy about shade.

Herbs tend to be mediterranean in origin so I would avoid deep shade for them.

If a third of it is in shade, 2/3 will be sunny so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also consider access, drainage (if it's a little boggy at present that may just be the winter weather but you'd need to ask whether it was a year-round problem) and parking. 

Ask about diseases such as club root or white rot on the site.  Where is the water supply?

Good luck and if this is the only offer you're going to get, I'd think long and hard about rejecting it if you're that keen!

WeedfreeWill

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 17:54 »
No veg/plant will grow in full shade but if you could put a shed as you suggested, that would be great. There are a few that will grow in partial shade though, like spinach, lettuce, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peas, Brussels Sprouts and Beans to name a few a few.

Good luck

Squeako

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 18:08 »
Thanks for the responses  :)

I am really keen to get going, particularly having lived in flats for the last 6 years with no garden.

There are a lot of positives to the allotment and site - it's in a great location, really convenient for work and home and very peaceful.  The watertap is 20 meters away. 

I'm guessing about the amount of shade it'll get, the whole plot should get morning sun, but much of it will be shaded in the afternoon.  It looks like the previous tenants didn't cultivate the lower 5m or so - I'm sure the upper, sunny section will be enough to keep me busy for a while!!

Cheers again!!

Nige2Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 18:21 »
In the shaded spot, could you not put your shed, compost bins, etc and concentrate your growing in the sunnier places!
As said "Go For It" and enjoy.

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 18:31 »
I would take it after waiting this long, you can always put your name down again for a swap at a later date.

A shady area to sit in can be a blessing during the hot summer day(s) :)

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

willowish

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 19:20 »
i agree with nige2plots, shady space is always good for the shed and compost bins...
you could give comfrey a go in the shade, i've grown it in deep shade before & it's been ok. then you've got a supply of organic fertiliser, right there! it can be dug in or steeped in water to give a liquid feed (smelly, but great!) it's nitrogen hungry, so you might want to dig in the contents of a couple of old feather pillows first...but don't do this on a windy day!  :nowink:
good luck with the plot, i've just got a half, which is plenty enough for me! looking forward to seeing how yours shapes up! 
 :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 19:27 »
If you are at all unhappy about the state of the allotment, i.e. rubbish, glass you can tell 'the man' and he should ensure it is 'fit for purpose'.  You shouldn't have to start off by clearing others rubbish.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

madcat

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 20:12 »
Go for it!  Ours is substantially shaded and it is amazing what you can do.  After all it will be damp long after your neighbours are complaining of drought and wind damage.  So you can't grow chillies, but most 'english' veg will do fine with partial shade ... 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:23 »
I think curly kale does okay in shade, and is invaluable come the winter.

Good luck!

Squeako

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 23:03 »
Thanks for all the helpful replies and advice!

I handed in the forms today, and should be out there with my spade in a week or two - can't wait  :)

Cazzy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 23:30 »
Congratulations Squeako, i'm sure you will love it  :D

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:24 »
i have a shaded area on my plot , it gets the sun early and the other half gets the sun late on so limmited sunlight ,  when i took it on i spoke to the previous owner who has now moved to a larger plot and he grew some nice potatoes there .
nowing this i had to find something else as to crop rotate so i grew sprouts and cabbage and other brassicas and some beats like swiss chard and spinach also rocket and salads like lettuice and radish managed to do ok :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

madcat

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 16:33 »
Get those seed potatoes bought and chitting gently!  There is nothing as satisfactory as your first own new pots......

(There is a survey somewhere on these boards about varieties)

xx
I've been offered an allotment at last BUT....

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 06:20
by Growster...
xx
Allotment offered, where do I start???

Started by Pickles29 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 16:06
by Kim50
xx
offered a full allotment

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 20:09
by fluffypebble
xx
Overgrown allotment offered, but no water on tap!

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 18:15
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 38 queries.