Olive Tree

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

Olive Tree
« on: August 05, 2018, 17:02 »
I have one Tree in my garden, which is very large.  It never has any fruit though.

But my question is, I have another one still in its growing container.  It is about 5ft high.  I would like to cut it down to just above the trunk division, (there are new shoots) and try to grow it in a planter.  Do you think this is worth a try, and what type and size planter should I use.  I would like to stand it near the big tree.  Thanks, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Olive Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 09:50 »
I missed this post first time round somehow  ???

My olive tree is about the same height and I keep it there with the top pruned into a large lollipop shape.  It is a plastic container pretending to be a large half barrel in a mix of John Innes no. 2 and multi-purpose (75/25).  Its gets chicken manure pellets as a top dressing and fed whenever I feed the tomatoes.

Olives are very hardy, but I would leave cutting the top completely out until next spring.  If you cut it hard now, you risk it dying back over winter.  Maybe cut back halfway and do the rest next year, if you can do that and not prune back to bare branches.

Olives are happy in pots and mine is a nice feature.  It does fruit, but tends to run out of summer.  Its looking a bit shaggy at the moment after a summer of growth, but will get a haircut soon  :)

mrs bouquet

Re: Olive Tree
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 17:26 »
Thanks for that advice, that's what I shall do.  Who knows maybe I shall get some Olives next year :) Mrs Bouquet

xx
Olive Tree

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2021, 20:39
by mumofstig
xx
Olive tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2021, 16:01
by Kleftiwallah
xx
An Olive Tree in Winter

Started by Pertelotte on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 15:23
by catllar
xx
Olive

Started by Livinhope on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 10:02
by tosca100

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.