Dead-Heading.

• 9 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Dead-Heading.
« on: May 11, 2009, 00:42 »
I know it is taking off dead flowers to promote growth of new flowers, but exactly how do you do it? Do I just pull the old head off, cut it off, cut the head and some flower stem off or cut the whole flower stem off?

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

Paul Plots

Re: Dead-Heading.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47 »
I guess it will very much depend on what it is you are dead-heading.

Some things can be pinched off with finger-tips while others needed cutting. Mostly it is just the dead flower-head that is removed but with roses you can prune a bit more off to promote growth of new flowering shoots (no expert here with rose pruning).  ::)

You seem to be early dead-heading. What are you growing?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57 »
A few different flowers, none are ready for dead-heading yet, I just want to be prepared when the time comes.

Robbo.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 21:34 »
Some people remove the flower heads (not dead ones) of things like marigolds when first planting them out... It helps encourage more plant growth rather than flower... side shoots then give more flowers in the long-run.

Not sure if that makes sense?  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 00:46 »
With soft stemmed annuals you can simply pinch off the dying flower head just below the flower base. Soft stemmed perennials can be pruned off with secaturs a few inches below the flower heads to neaten their appearance. Tall perennials like delphs and hollyhocks should have dying flowerheads pruned almost into the leafy areas of the plant. Roses should be pruned to just above the leaf branch with 5 leaves below the dying flower head. Most other hard-stemmed perennials don't need to be deadheaded.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51 »
Thanks Learner and Trillium and yes that did make sense learner, sounds quite interesting, never heard it before and will try it this year. That just about covers all I need to know for the plants I have this year Trillium.

Robbo.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:54 »
"I know it is taking off dead flowers to promote growth of new flowers"

Some plants will stop producing flowers when seed sets, and thus devote all their energy to making the fruit / seed (an accidental and overlooked Marrow appearing on a Courgette plant, or seed pods on Sweet peas, for example)

But in general I think that dead-heading is as much to stop the plant having to waste energy producing seeds, as to encourage it to make more flowers - obviously if not producing seeds the saved energy can be used to make more flowers :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 18:53 »
"I know it is taking off dead flowers to promote growth of new flowers"

Some plants will stop producing flowers when seed sets, and thus devote all their energy to making the fruit / seed (an accidental and overlooked Marrow appearing on a Courgette plant, or seed pods on Sweet peas, for example)

But in general I think that dead-heading is as much to stop the plant having to waste energy producing seeds, as to encourage it to make more flowers - obviously if not producing seeds the saved energy can be used to make more flowers :)

Spot on, I'd say!  :)

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13 »
It's amazing what you can learn from one simple question, thank you one and all.

Robbo.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:08 »
I generally prefer scissors (although I'll deadhead the odd thing with my fingernails).  After a while your index finger starts to get sore where your thumbnail pinches, so you start tugging more and nipping less, which can damage the plant.

xx
Cosmos heading towards the cosmos!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2024, 15:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
Are they dead

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 20:06
by topgardener
xx
acer looking very dead

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 13:01
by JayG
clip
Dead Space

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 13:55
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.