Latest un-earthing from the allotment of Doom!

• 19 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Latest un-earthing from the allotment of Doom!
« on: September 08, 2017, 18:37 »
A full size plot recently became vacant on our(council run) allotment.I dont officially take it on till January,but was told i could start to get it into shape this year.Most of the plot is in good condition, has been worked and in good order, the front of the plot however is a different story.The previous tenent never worked this area and simply covered it...grit,dpm,old carpet,crazy paving, this is the area ive been concentrating on cleaning up.After the previously mentioned grit,etc came up (along with a lot of rubble)...ive hit this, no idea what it is, only that its at least three courses thick and rendered on the inner edge, Im back tommorrow for further exploration(the blooming polytunnel was supposed to go here).
21414751_10214400747802975_4425378161820464536_o.jpgdoom.jpg
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Latest un-earthing from the allotment of Doom!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 18:52 »
There could be a whole building down there yet, you know  :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 19:02 »
Yep have cleared a plot like that before. Wonder if the council would lend you a JCB. Our one time association treasurer dug up a complete Ford Prefect (only lacking the driver) when he took over an allotment.

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 19:03 »
There could be a whole building down there yet, you know  :wacko:
Notghing would surprise me...ive already built a 12x2x2 rockery/raised planter thing simply using dug up rubble/broken pavers and still have enough for an extention.In one area i took up some uncovered Kerazee paving to find full intact flags underneath...go figure that one out ???

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 19:12 »
It would appear it was something the previous tenant was not prepared to unearth. Could be something to do with an old air raid shelter. We still have the odd Anderson shelter on our site, complete with foundations of sorts. Maybe it could be utilised as your polytunnel walkway if not too wide, and then when you leave, the next tenant can scratch their head.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 20:32 »
A landing strip for aliens?   A very small Roman road?  A prototype for Hadrian's Wall?  The remains of an outdoor lavatory? 

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30 »
A landing strip for aliens?   A very small Roman road?  A prototype for Hadrian's Wall?  The remains of an outdoor lavatory?

I like your thinking but I bet it's the roof of a bank vault... long forgotten but still full!  :lol:

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

arh

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 13:01 »
Seriously, you have obviously unearthed the foundations/remains of a building that was there before the land was turned into an Allotment Area, the previous occupant also knew it was there, so used it as a "utility space", I doubt whether you will be able to remove it completely, (or even at all). Personally, I would uncover it completely to find out the area it covers, then use it as, possibly a shed base, or polytunnel base, using raised beds, or compost area , etc, etc, but use it, as you are paying rent for it.

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 16:33 »

I like your thinking but I bet it's the roof of a bank vault... long forgotten but still full!  :lol:
Alas a bank vault it wasn`t...full or otherwise.

arh

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 16:42 »
So, what was it then, please??

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 16:46 »
Seriously, you have obviously unearthed the foundations/remains of a building that was there before the land was turned into an Allotment Area, the previous occupant also knew it was there, so used it as a "utility space", I doubt whether you will be able to remove it completely, (or even at all). Personally, I would uncover it completely to find out the area it covers, then use it as, possibly a shed base, or polytunnel base, using raised beds, or compost area , etc, etc, but use it, as you are paying rent for it.
its gone (well still there but now above ground...in big blooming lumps), eight feet long, seven courses wide, four courses deep, whilst "renovating" the front of the plot I also uncovered what i presume was a brick edged flower border, my thoughts are that a previous tenent was "doing a foreigner", used what clean bricks they could and slid the rest off a tipper into a big blooming hole...to be uncovered by myself some years later, just gotta beg the council for a skip now (which will probably be harder work than digging the blooming mess out).

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 16:49 »
its gone (well still there but now above ground...in big blooming lumps), eight feet long, seven courses wide, four courses deep, whilst "renovating" the front of the plot I also uncovered what i presume was a brick edged flower border, my thoughts are that a previous tenent was "doing a foreigner", used what clean bricks they could and slid the rest off a tipper into a big blooming hole...to be uncovered by myself some years later, just gotta beg the council for a skip now (which will probably be harder work than digging the blooming mess out).
haha...site won`t let me blooming swear.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 17:22 »
But at least you've done the hardest part of the blood, sweat and tears of getting it out of the ground. Have you managed to gain any usable space after your excavations? Will you be seriously short of soil in that area (hmm - place for compost heap?)

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 19:21 »
But at least you've done the hardest part of the blood, sweat and tears of getting it out of the ground. Have you managed to gain any usable space after your excavations? Will you be seriously short of soil in that area (hmm - place for compost heap?)
Space wise, it enables me to put the tunnel were i originally wanted, soil wise, yes i have a big hole, but on my current plot i have three 13`x2`scaffold board raised beds in the tunnel...the contents of which will be coming with me.The rest of the area its freed up will either be a raised strawberry bed or I`ll cobble together a cut flower bed for the time being(probably the latter).

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 17:44 »
Not ever dug up 'remains' on your scale , just stones of various sizes , no gold or anything valuable ,  could the bricks be used as a pathway  ?

Good luck.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
John's latest allotment diary

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 03, 2021, 11:35
by rowlandwells
xx
The latest you can sow...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 15:45
by Goneterseed
xx
Latest pics

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 15:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
latest time to sow certain veg?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 23:41
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.