Villiers engine

• 2 Replies

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Villiers engine
« on: November 22, 2010, 21:04 »
One for the Villiers engine experts. My next door neighbours have bought a Wrigley auto truck for use in their garden and smallholding. The chassis looks OK but the Villiers engine hasn’t run for a long time judging by the rust in the tank. There are no identifying marks on it but it must be a fairly late side valve model as the Magneto is a Wipac. The odd thing is that there is no governor and it has an Amal  carburettor that fits as if it was original equipment though the return spring for the throttle is hooked onto the unfiltered intake, which does not seem right, but it works OK. Did Villiers use an Amal on any of their industrial engines and does anyone know what model it will be?
R Tallentire

Gwiz

Re: Villiers engine
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:30 »
I have seen Amal carburettors on Villiers before, so either it was common to fit them as an "after market" adaptation, or they came out of the factory that way. Sorry I can't help on the model.
You might try getting in touch with Meetens, A picture sent to them may get you the answer, and I would be surprised if they couldn't help with spare parts.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
Re: Villiers engine
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 17:59 »
The ex BSA  F12 sloper engine as used on Ransomes Marquis mowers I think used Wipac ignition and un governed Amal carb.  The very last of this sloper type, I think, was governed and used a Villiers carb..had a chance of some s/h little used and replaced for Hondas a few years back...hesitated and missed them..... were they then the A15?
 Another, I think, ex BSA engine with Wipac, the very heavy cast iron, F15 was much used in industrial applications..but used a Villiers carb and was governed.

Ref the photo to Meetens...I have used Meetens for some Kubota/Mag spares recently...and for purposes of identifying a part sent a photo of the offending item...which they very promptly replied to positively....

Clive.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 18:05 by dorimower »

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 39 queries.