Fishing Season 2018

• 69 Replies

Aled

Re: Fishing Season 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2018, 09:54 »
Good fishing guys. Season here has ended and I have not fished as much as usual due to dog walking and training. However the next stage is relevant, I'm hoping he'll be a gun dog, and will help me bag some tasty free meat. He's not quite ready for this year, but the training will continue.
Cheers
Aled

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2018, 10:34 »
Good luck with the woofer Aled.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

MarkC

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2018, 09:23 »
Still 2 weeks to go in salmon season in my most local river (down the road), all the rest now shut. Unless I pick up another fish in the next 2 weeks, I will end the season with 6, which isn't a bad result given the heatwave and drought until end July.

However, that 5 of these were taken on one of the rivers I fish, and my 'main' river was very poor this year, and we ended the season with about half our average catch on the beat, which is the third poor year in a row....the autumn run seems to have collapsed. Problem seems to be smolt survival at sea and therefore less fish returning.....same as many other rivers. However, the river I got 5 on has had a decent season, with good numbers of fish in it so not all bad news. I kept one fish for smoking for Christmas.

Over to the rainbows now for a couple of months or so......would like a nice one to gravadlax for Christmas/New Year.

Aled

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2018, 11:31 »
I need to go through the fly boxes. I think I will be doing a bit more trout fishing next season, plus I've got a trip to Iceland in July. Time to get tying!
Tight Lines
Aled

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2018, 21:28 »
 The fishing here in the Solent and outer Solent is very dire ,,not seen any 20 lb plus cod yet,,,
 just gotta wait for a big blow rough seas and some frosts to plummet the temp of the water
 to bring them in to shallow water,,,,

Aled, if your going to Iceland  have a day on the cod  and halibut they have some klonkers  as you know i expect,, have a good trip
Colin

MarkC

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2018, 22:46 »
I need to go through the fly boxes. I think I will be doing a bit more trout fishing next season, plus I've got a trip to Iceland in July. Time to get tying!
Tight Lines
Aled
Trout or salmon in Iceland, Aled? That will be one to look forward to!

I lost a fish today on the river and had 4 out of season brownies, all in very good nick, one at nearly 2lb on a 2 inch long copper tube fly!
Also had the embarrassing experience of losing another guy's fish at the net after he asked me to help....bar of silver about 12lb. In my defence, he had no chance of netting it with his trout net, the fish actually jumped towards the net as he was drawing it to it, hit it went half in and fell out again! One of his Rapala hooks was broken too, and the fish had straightened the other one.....it's all C&R anyway at this time so I did say to him he should really count it since it did get in the net, albeit only half of it for a second! Still, bit of a red face, have never done that before and have landed quite a lot in my time.....

Aled

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 10:00 »
MarkC: Been there seen that got the T Shirt....thankfully only once!

Salmon fishing on the West Ranga, went back in 2016 great fishing.
A friend of mine has been cod fishing in Iceland he too said it was awesome.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2018, 16:55 »
Managed to get out today with a trip to Barnsfold.
Hard work again, quick look at the catch report showed not a lot being caught
Took a couple of hours before I hooked the first fish, cast in straight after and hooked another which got away! Another long spell before a change of fly to a pink baby doll and second fish landed.
There was a lot down there today but not a lot being caught.
Finished the day with a first for me....
caught a bream on cats whisker :ohmy: how bizarre is that?
took a photo coz I still cant believe it.
20181204_141322.jpg

8doubles

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 10:35 »
Managed to get out today with a trip to Barnsfold.
Hard work again, quick look at the catch report showed not a lot being caught
Took a couple of hours before I hooked the first fish, cast in straight after and hooked another which got away! Another long spell before a change of fly to a pink baby doll and second fish landed.
There was a lot down there today but not a lot being caught.
Finished the day with a first for me....
caught a bream on cats whisker :ohmy: how bizarre is that?
took a photo coz I still cant believe it.

It is the savior of most fly anglers that the only way a fish can work out if something is edible is to suck it in !
I do recall that in the past large river bream (in Ireland ?) being caught on small spinners intended for game fish !
The red and white of the cats whisker is a bit like a breadflake redworm bait which is a bream favourite !

Aled

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2018, 15:12 »
I caught either a Roach or Rudd of around 12ozs on a Hot Orange lead head a few years ago. Dog is coming along nicely looks like I am in with a chance of him being a gun dog.
Tight Lines
Aled

xx
Fishing Season 2022

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 17:09
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2020

24 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 16:26
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2023

20 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:20
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2017

130 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 22:03
by Offwego

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 45 queries.