Novice in need of compost and information...

• 5 Replies

Cam67

Novice in need of compost and information...
« on: May 11, 2013, 17:37 »
Hi, first post...recently moved to Bourne, Lincolnshire and built a raised bed for my future vegetables. It can hold 2.1 cubic meters of soil/compost or 2110 LTR's to be exact, I thought this was great until I started to price up the costs of soil & compost. My first question is could anyone recommend a provider of both near Bourne that are cheap? The second is that I read Mushroom compost is the way to go & Mushroom factories sell it, is this true? Any help appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Novice in need of compost and information...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 17:55 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm just going to move you over to Grow Your Own where more veggie people will see your post  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:13 »
To get started, and to keep costs down, acquire, beg compost or top-soil from wherever you can. If you have access to manure you could fill them with that to begin with?

I'm in the same boat as you after creating a couple of raised beds this year, and managed to get some free compost from my local council, but I could have done with 20 x more than I got.

Although my beds are shallow its not stopped me planting onions and leeks this year. After harvesting and when I have some home-made compost I will look to build them up. Also have access to tons of manure, so will fill them with this over winter before digging that in next Spring.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

fred-quimby

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 21:43 »
Hi, and welcome.  Someone on here advised me to use the soil between the beds so that could save you a bit of money.
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 23:30 »
Yes, you can do that (use soil from the paths) and digging the soil already inside the bed will raise the level at least a couple of inches  :)

Spent mushrrom compost is what you buy from mushroom growers - they replace the growing medium regularly  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02 »
Do you need to fill them from the start? (ie are they resting on anything other than soil?)

They will fill up over time with compost you make and other conditioners (manure) you add to the beds. Digging over will raise them quite a bit I find, and as MoS says,  and the beds will benefit from being fluffier and aired (other than for growing brassicas)

xx
PSB how and when....novice

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 19:41
by Paul Plots
xx
Pollytunnel information required please advise.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 11:26
by jacnal
xx
More possible useful information for people starting off on an allotment?

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2018, 08:17
by Veg Plot 1B
clip
Peas - Back of Pack information

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.