Cut Foot

• 10 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Cut Foot
« on: January 08, 2010, 22:36 »
Oh dear, went up to put the girls and boys to bed about 4-3o tonight and my little grey Arancana, has a cut foot, infact i think she may have broken her middle toe, i think she may have got it caught in the chicken wire, so i have brought her inside and sprayed it with anti septic spray and also put some Baytril in her water, got to phone the vet again in the morning and see what they want to do about it, we have a fantastic vet who is chicken mad, and breeds her own, so i know my little girl will be in good hands. Think she may have to have her toe amputated! Not sure if it will be able to be saved, poor little girl she was shaking when i picked her up, so she is all tucked up in a broody box, with a heat lamp for a few days until she is well enough to go back out.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Cut Foot
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 22:38 »
Oh dear  :ohmy:

Let us know how she gets on.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 22:44 »
i will do, got to ring the vet at 8-30 see if she wants to see her, sure she will. She seems ok in herself, but you never can tell with chooks can you?

Nails

• Experienced Member
Re: Cut Foot (update)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:00 »
Well took my little chook to the vets this morning, bless her she has got to have her middle toe amputated!!!!!!  What to do? The operation is going to cost £70 we have decided to go for it and give her a chance, she is about 20weeks old, and not started laying yet (suspect cos of the cold weather) but she is a pure breed Arancana, and has loads of life in her, she is a fiesty little thing, so she is off to the vets on tuesday to have the toe taken off.

doodoo

• dora myrtle and olivia
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 13:11 »
aw hope all goes well x

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 13:50 »
Well i would have done the same, of course we are all different, and keep our girls for different reasons, but there are lots of us on here that would have done the same. She will be up and about in no time. Good on you for sticking with her :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 14:05 »
Likewise I would also have paid for the operation had she been mine as all my animals are pets. I have several araucanas (2 lavender girls, 3 white girls and a black red girl plus 2 lavender boys) such pretty birds and you can be sure that in spring she will reward your care and kindness with lovely blue/green eggs. Keep us posted as to how she is doing xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 16:44 »
Good for you!

I hope to think I'd do the same, but that's a lot of money!  OH would have a fit, I'd have had to shred the visa bill . . . again. :tongue2:

I know she'll pay you back, as only chickens can do. ;)

Big Jen

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 17:10 »
I amputated one of my banties toes by accident, shut her in the kitchen door :(
It was hanging on by a thread of skin, so I cut it off, disinfected it, put on wound powder. There was hardly any blood and she didnt even seem to notice it had happened ::)
I am more careful now closing doors when the girls are out.

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 17:33 »
i would have done that, but she only has a cut on her toe, and the bone broken under that, don't think i would have the stomach to do that to her, just hope in the spring she produces lots of baby girls for me to sell. Then we will get our money back. But she is a lovely girl.

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 17:55 »
i have 103 chickens, 2 of them have a broken middle toe, 2 (the cockerals from Devon) have seriously deformed feet, 1 cob hen ( Henrietta) broke her leg jumping off a fence (we set it with 2 lolly sticks and some plaster of paris from plasterama) it amazes me none of them have a problem and don't seem to realize things aren't quite right, the cob hen only limps when she runs (which isn't very often unless treats are involved :))
i think i would have been tempted to leave the toe in situ and just give a course of anti's, neither of our broken toes have dropped off, just bent at a 45% angle, i think it hurts us more than them ;)
 the most i have paid at the vets for a chicken is £35 for Pauline (fox attack) since a poultry vet started at the practice and chickens went onto livestock instead of small animals the fees for our chooks have got very much lower,
well done you for putting your chicken before your bank balance, it may sting a bit now but it will be so worthwhile, when we watch Pauline now we don't think of the vet bill, just how lucky we are (and Pauline) that she is still with us and enjoying her life.

xx
Cut Foot

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 18:20
by 3Bluebelles
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington
xx
Poorly leg/foot

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 19:06
by bantam novice
xx
Update on the cut foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 10:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 39 queries.