covering the enclosure?

• 10 Replies

Dannii

covering the enclosure?
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:15 »
Hiya!

I went to put my girls to bed last night (they're still getting used to bed time etc!) and whilst I was in there all four jumped on top of the coop then got down and jumped onto the grape vine which is half way up the 6ft fence, my worry now is that they are going ot get braver and go over the fence (one side there are 2 dogs who are lovely but they are hunters and have killed hedgehogs who have got into the garden in the past so I have no hesitation in thinking they will devour the chooks if they got in there. Their wings are clipped but obviously not much use! they are 17 weeks old at the moment.

So my question is, should I cover the entire enclosure with netting or similar?  I think they wouldn't be able to get over the side where the grapevine is as they would have to jump half way up then fly out ot go over the bush of the grapevine. the side where the dogs are do you think I should put some wire mesh stapled to the fence then arched over into the enclosure so it would be more difficult?

Thanks for your help!!!

Dannii

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
covering the enclosure?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39 »
It sounds like they are trying to roost and it might be a case of you being around at bed time and putting them into the hen house until they realise that this is where they have to go at night.

They are often confused especially at night time.

There little brains will click soon..............good luck.

daz

• Experienced Member
covering the enclosure?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:17 »
what time are you trying to put them in?
mine go in by themselves between 9 and 10

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
covering the enclosure?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22 »
mine put theirselves to bed by 7-7.30pm (lazy so 'n' so's) :D

Dannii maybe you could try putting them to bed earlier?
Katt

Dannii

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:24 »
I put them to bed around 9.30pm both nights so far, I can see them from the kitchen so I saw one of the girls keep going up and down the ramp and into the hen house then coming back and standing on the ramp flapping her wings looking like she was telling all the others to get to bed so the others started going up the ramp too then they thought NAH! still too much fun to be had out here. Then only when I went in to put them to bed they first jumped on the coop roof then onto the grapevines.

This chook lark is definitely addictive, I have skylights all in the upstairs of my house so I spend my time hanging out of them spying on them, the neighbours must think I have lost the plot!!!

Dannii

FCG

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 14:34 »
Mine are very vocal now about when i should shut the coop up. They start to go in and out and cluck. I finally twigged what they wanted!

Porffor

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 14:47 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"
mine put theirselves to bed by 7-7.30pm (lazy so 'n' so's) :D

Dannii maybe you could try putting them to bed earlier?

:shock:  :shock:
Mine go to bed at 10pm - 10.10pm !!!! i think we do have more light here compared to other areas though.

Mine used to go in and out, in and out.. then eventually settled to bedtime themselves, now all i do is close their door and answer their goodnight chatter! ;)

Dannii

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 18:22 »
Thanks for all the responses! So you all think its just a roosting problem and they are not going to make a break for it (and into the neighbours' dogs mouth!!)? should i hold off covering the enclosure?

I will try to put them to bed slightly earlier tonight see how they feel about that! Its only starts to get dark here around 9pm-ish

Thanks!

Dannii

henpecked

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 18:31 »
Mine used to escape regularly to begin with, but once they realise that every whim is catered to within the confines of their run they soon stopped!

They also seem to know they'll get a chance to have a run around the allotment every few days so don't seem to enthusiastic about making a bid for freedom.

Does help that the run is a decent size too!

Dannii

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 18:36 »
Thanks henpecked!

There is hope then?! my enclsure is 12x15ft, which I thikn is ok...isn't it?! and I haven't let them out yet as this is the 2nd full day they have been here so I thought it was best they settle into their new home first before overwhelming them with a whole garden to explore! They haven't jumped on anything today yet and are much more sociable when I come into their run although I was wearing sandals and I think they all liked the look of my toes!

We'll see what happens at bed time!

henpecked

covering the enclosure?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 19:10 »
Similar size to mine then!

To begin with I had chicken wire about 4 feet high, but to discourage them from jumping it I got some netting (just general green garden netting that was lying around) and added that...it's very lightweight I just used 7foot garden canes up against the fence posts and garden ties (like the ones you get with freezer bags but green) to attach the netting to the canes...acts as a deterrent rather than anything else...!

They could escape if they tried hard enough but they do settle down.

Having said that we are currently searching for a chook who is AWOL...just popped over the the lottie to find the enclosure gate open...5 of them hadn't even noticed but one has done a runner (last seen c. 3.30pm). Quite concerned as the big plank of wood propping the gate closed couldn't have been moved by the chooks or just fallen over , it had gone too far.

xx
chicken enclosure

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 15:29
by snow white
xx
enclosure size

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:02
by Foxy
xx
Bedmax for enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 16:30
by dawnsmith
xx
recyled idea for hen enclosure

Started by barley on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 14:28
by nerdle

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.