Run Covering

• 7 Replies

Willow_Warren

Run Covering
« on: January 09, 2017, 13:07 »
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but...

Usually I move my chickens aroung the garden for fresh grass etc.  With the bird flu alerts I have fully covered the run and have not been moving them to fresh grass - consequently the are is not starting to look a bit grubby so got me thinink about what I could cover the ground with that will impove their conditions.

It's not a large run - it's a Omlet one with and extension, I really want to extend but again there's the issue of fresh grass where wild birds have been!

Anyhow, really looking for the cheapest place to get some kind of bagged hardwood chip.

Many thanks

Hannah :)

ghost61

Re: Run Covering
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 16:03 »
Mine are in a permanent run and so no grass, just lots of cabbage, spinach, sorrel, chickweed thrown in for them.  I clear a layer of the ground every so often, dig it over, sterilise and add wood shavings or aubidose on top.  Don't think you need to go to the expense of hardwood wood chips.  My birds are ok with their lot, but they do usually free range unless we are away.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 16:27 »
if you have garden waste collected woodchip should be fine, if not I would use straw as that can go in normal household waste. Neither option is worth composting.
If straw remember to check for eggs

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06 »
As, hopefully, this is a temporary measure you could try shavings. They are usually softwood, usually pine which is naturally anti-bacterial as well. Should be approx £10 for a big bag from farm/equine stores.  :)

Could also try other options such as chopped miscanthus or rape straw - should breakdown well, or hemp options. There is lots to choose from.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:10 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33 »
Went out at the weekend but got a bit confused in the shop so ended up just buying a calendar! (bargain at 60p) but not the point!

They had a chopped woodchip bedding (but not much thicker than aubiose) and bliss (but I could see how finely chopped the bliss was as it was in an opaque bag).

Anyhow going back to my local store at lunchtime today in the hope that I will leave with something acutally on my list!

Hannah :)

Beekissed

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:14 »
Here's a thread that may help you resolve your situation.  It's pretty much like lasagna gardening, but it's just layering in different kinds and types of organic matter until you have a nice litter pack. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118357.0

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46 »
Thanks, I've given it a quick read but I think I'm going to have to give it a proper read later!

I got one bag of straw which I put some of it in on Wednesday morning before they got up (a little seems to go a long way)!  They seemed rather suspicious of it and weren't keen on walking over, I stopped and watched them for a bit but coudln't stop for long (I ended up being half an hour late for work but we'll gloss over that for the moment), I guessed that they would make their way to the food eventually.

Had a long day yesterday so unfortunatly didn't see the chickens in the light but this morning they were happy as larry, I feel better with their feet on a cleaner surface.  I might either premenantly site the run all year or at least all winter and reseed the lawn come spring.

Kind regards

Hannah

grinling

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 19:01 »
do not compost straw as it takes way to long. Mine goes in the household rubbish bin.

xx
Covering for outside run

Started by NUMBER27 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 16:49
by Helenaj
xx
Hen house covering..

Started by cudders on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 20:11
by muntjac
xx
outside run flooring/covering

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 14:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
covering the enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:10
by henpecked

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.