outside run flooring/covering

• 10 Replies

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« on: January 21, 2008, 15:00 »
Hi,
our chooks are in a garden run which we covered in bark chippings from a local sawmill some months ago and all has been well. Of course it hasn't stopped raining lately and they are now in mud :(
We have been back to the sawmill and got another trailer load of chippings but this batch is full of Corsican Pine needles. They are long, green and spiky and I am afraid that the cooks will eat them and get them stuck in their crops.
What do you reckon folks?
I can use the chippings on paths so its not wasted (it smells lovely and resinous) - but I just tried picking the needles out of the mix and its impossible as they are throughout.
Am I seeing a problem where one doesn't exist - or might they gobble these up and come to grief?
I seriously don't know what is best here.
If the chippings are  unsuitable then what do other people use?
I am in a country area and there are lots of farming outlets nearby so I can get most things.
Thanks for you help (in advance!)
Kathy H

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 15:21 »
Here is a pic of the Corsican pine needles so you can see what size they are and what I am talking about!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=548741&l=d1773&id=653268331

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 15:52 »
Hi Kathy.  

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.  I doubt they would eat them, and they probably wouldn't injure their feet digging.  Could you put some down when you have a bit of time to see what they make of it ?

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 15:55 »
Hi Aunt Sally,

My worry was that there are dire warnings about them eating long grass and getting the thick stem part caught in their crops. I wondered if the same thing might happen here.
That was the thing I wondered about. I doubt their tough feet would suffer - just their crops get packed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote from: "KathyH"
Hi Aunt Sally,

My worry was that there are dire warnings about them eating long grass and getting the thick stem part caught in their crops. I wondered if the same thing might happen here.
That was the thing I wondered about. I doubt their tough feet would suffer - just their crops get packed.

I've still no real advice to give you other that see what they do with it  :(

Remove it if they seem interested in eating it.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 19:38 »
I dont think they would eat them, my guess is they would peck and then drop them once they realise.
Chickens have managed thousands of years and they did roam in jungles and forests without us babysitting them.
A lot of free range ones roam around in woods and they have a choice what they eat and they seem to manage well.
I would put one or two of them pine needles in with them and see what they do.
Im 99 % sure they will pick them up then drop them and leave them alone.
Like yourselfs i have been using wood chippings but i also have used leafs from the wood next to my run and thats got other bits in from evergreens and ive had no problems.
You dont want to waste it now you have it!
I wish you all the best and im sure it will be fine

Please let me know how you get on

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 22:01 »
personally I wouldnt risk it, especially since you can use it elsewhere, perhaps the batches of chippings vary a lot and you can get a batch that is suitable in a week or so?
My chickens would have a go at eating it I think they are pretty curious and as you say it could get stuck and wouldnt be worth the worry and trouble.
I have a mud bath too so I do sympathise!
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:03 »
Well current thinking is to shovel up the last years chippings from the paths in the garden (its on that weed suppressant stuff so it comes up fairly well) and put that on the muddy run. Then use the new stuff on the paths.
The new stuff really is very full of these long wiry needles and some have been chopped by their shredder so that looks more peckable. We will go back to the woodyard at another time and see if they have been shredding easier stuff. They sell lots to people for horse and goat bedding so they have a reasonable turnover - it just depends what wood they have been using and it varies.
I like using their stuff as its a few miles down the road and wood off the local big estate so the carbon footprint is nice and low and they don't do daft things like dyeing it like B&Q do. Its cheaper too!

Thanks for the advice.
Any other suggestions for ground covering gratefully accepted though.

Bodger

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11 »
Whilst chickens are pretty dumb, I don't think you'll have a problem with them eating the spikey needles.

The thing with the hay, is that they associate it with the raw version. In other words grass. Once in the crop, the hay strands literally roll up into a ball that resembles a ball of knitting wool and the birds digestive system can't cope and so they become what is known as crop bound.

With these pine needles, even if the birds ate them, you wouldn't get this effect, so my advice is not to worry  :lol:

Selkie

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17 »
Could you try and put a couple of the needles in their run and see what the hens do with them, like Auntie suggested?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 14:37 »
Thanks for that Bodger,  I felt that the best thing would be to have a go as see what happened.  But I didn't want to be responsible for making the chooks unwell   :D

xx
Flooring in run

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 20:12
by bee
xx
Run flooring

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 22:25
by Geo
xx
what flooring for the run

Started by sued on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 16:48
by sued
xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.