Covering for outside run

• 4 Replies

NUMBER27

Covering for outside run
« on: June 17, 2014, 15:20 »
Hi, what is the best floor covering for an outside run. It is a permanent run of soil. We dig it over and I poop scoop but still find flies a pest. Advise most welcome. Many thanks.

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
Re: Covering for outside run
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 15:45 »
Hi there,
My chooks are on concrete and I sweep daily and hose it all down once a week.
Sue in France :)

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 18:02 »
I got some free slabs and part slabbed the run. A quick sweep and wash down and the jobs done.
The rest of the soil is covered in a deep layer of easibed which is easier to rake over than to dig soil. Every now and then we skip out the easibed to the compost heap and put sown fresh.
I've still got some slabs left so i will be extending the slabbed area. They still have plenty of scratching area.

Try freecycle for free slabs.

wolfpup

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 13:43 »
About 80% of my run is on soil the rest is either concrete or correx- we also used to have a bad fly problem  (and smell problem).    Look up  Natural Korean Farming on Utube - there is a fantastic piece on making LAB  (Lacto acid bacillus).   It is basically a rice wash that is allowed to ferment with milk.   Once done (takes about 10 days in total).  It is diluted up to 100 times  i.e.  you only need 1 tablespoon of the liquid in a gallon of water.    water your soil area with this and it actually breaks down the ammonia and poop, really cutting down on smells - which attracts the flies.   I only water the soil once a month.

In addition I also ferment my hen feed using this - and their poop is no longer of any interest at all to flies as almost all of the feed is utilized by the hen - also the poop smell is almost totally gone.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 16:49 »
Try Stalosan F sprinkled in the run - it cuts down on smell, dries up any muddy areas and keeps the worm egg burden down on the ground they are scratching on. Sprinkle a light layer once they have gone to bed and you will be surprised at the results. It's not harmful to animals so it doesn't matter if they peck at it and is safe for the environment. The only drawback is that it is bright pink! It costs about £22 for an eight kilo tub.

xx
Run Covering

Started by Willow_Warren on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2017, 19:01
by grinling
question
What floor covering to use?

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 14:50
by Haychee
xx
Hen house covering..

Started by cudders on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 20:11
by muntjac
xx
outside run flooring/covering

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 14:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.