Plastic or cardboard?

• 6 Replies

Andycorker

Plastic or cardboard?
« on: January 25, 2012, 13:04 »
I let my allotment get overgrown last year and have so far cut it all down.
I covered the beds with cardboard to get the grass/weeds down. Should I have used plastic instead? is cardboard only used on prepared soil? Also the farmer has left me some dung I had planned to cover the cardboard with the dung with the hope that it would all rot through whilst killing off the weeds underneath.
Can i do this within three months or will I be left with a mess to clear up come end April?
Its grand when you get there.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Plastic or cardboard?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 17:30 »
It does depend on what sort of weeds they were.  The perennial ones will probably find their way back, but annual ones will be killed.

I don't think you've done anything wrong with the cardboard.  Plastic isn't advised for months on end as it prevents air and water getting through to the soil beneath.

If the manure is well rotted then by all means bung it on top (bear in mind that manure can often contain weed seeds too though).  If it is not well rotted then put it in a heap out of the way for the season, ready to put on in the autumn.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Andycorker

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 20:27 »
Thanks for that Yorkie I was half thinking of taking it up and putting plastic down :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 20:36 »
I would use the cardboard myself.

Just make sure it is well secured so it doesn't blow away.

I wouldn't personally spread the manure over the cardboard, as the card will not have rotted by the time digging is needed ready for planting/sowing.

Stack it as Yorkie suggested, and use it when it is rotted and at its best  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 00:05 »
Hopefully I have a huge amount of old manure arriving in the morning. As a bit of an experiment I'm covering an area of the plot, complete with the odd naughty  :mad: weed, with cardboard and newspaper, this needs to be wet I've read. Then this manure is being plonked on top and raked out so it's a good thickness and I'm leaving it until later in the spring for me to plant straight in to. I hope to grow squash and potatoes in it.

If nothing grows in it I'll only have my embarrassment to hide  ::) and have to weed as I go anyhow so what's to lose?

At the very VERY least, it's somewhere to put all this manure I've ordered, hee hee.  ;)

Let us know what you decide. x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11 »
Is the manure well rotted? It's not that far until spring and if it's not well rotted, it's not going to do much of it in this weather.

Fresh manure can "burn" your plants.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10 »
Hopefully I have a huge amount of old manure arriving in the morning. As a bit of an experiment I'm covering an area of the plot, complete with the odd naughty  :mad: weed, with cardboard and newspaper, this needs to be wet I've read. Then this manure is being plonked on top and raked out so it's a good thickness and I'm leaving it until later in the spring for me to plant straight in to. I hope to grow squash and potatoes in it.

If nothing grows in it I'll only have my embarrassment to hide  ::) and have to weed as I go anyhow so what's to lose?

At the very VERY least, it's somewhere to put all this manure I've ordered, hee hee.  ;)

Let us know what you decide. x

Claire take the time between now and planting to dig out those naughty weeds (the perennials) and dig in the annuals you'll thank yourself in the long run...........you can't hide the little bleeders  :)
Faff free zone!

xx
Cardboard

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:11
by compostqueen
question
Cardboard uses??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 18:24
by sunshineband
xx
cardboard and more cardboard

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 20:13
by Madame Cholet
xx
Planting through cardboard

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:01
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 38 queries.