Raspberries - how late can I plant them?

• 9 Replies

allotmentgemma

Raspberries - how late can I plant them?
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:36 »
Hi there,

I'm a brand new to allotments! I was allocated a plot a while ago but am still waiting for the council to actually give me a key so I can get started. Have I missed the boat on planting some stuff for this year?

I was really hoping to get some fruit canes in (probably raspberries) but worried that it is a bit late in the day for that now? I was wondering whether I could instead get some small plants (more expensive I know) instead of canes so that I might get some crop for this year. How late do you think I could transplant these into the ground?

Total newbie at this so would really appreciate any advice!   

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries - how late can I plant them?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53 »
You can still get canes bundled together in a pot.  I saw some at a garden centre last week. These are lifted bare-root, but put into a pot of compost to stop the roots drying out and are not too dear.

They will have started growing by now, so get the rootball really wet, pull the plants apart gently and pot them up in their own pots.  They can stay like that for a few weeks until you get your key.

Hello and welcome btw   :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 14:01 »
Hi there allotmentgemma your other option at this time of year is to have a word with other allotment owners and see if they have any runners they can give you for nothing! Raspberries have a tendency to grow where you want them but also pop up all over the allotment. All you need is some the root and the emerging shoot ask around and you may get enough to kick you off this year.

Good luck
HH
Keep digging

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 16:57 »
Don't think you are too late for raspberries as I dug all mine up - all were pretty feeble - levelled the bed and add a bit of compost and dug it over then replanted the raspberries.

When I dug them out a few days earlier there was no real growth on them, some shoots showing however nothing that was more then 1/2 inch, most less.

Would suggest Autumn fruiting varieties for the simple reason they are easier to look after = they grow, they fruit, you cut them down. No added complications of this years and last years canes.

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28 »
I planted bare rooted ones 2 weeks ago and already signs of shoots.

Actually these are the first plants I have ever paid for in ¢*years of gardening. The others have always been from other plot holders and always fared well so go on the hunt and make friends.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47 »
Don't think you are too late for raspberries as I dug all mine up - all were pretty feeble - levelled the bed and add a bit of compost and dug it over then replanted the raspberries.

When I dug them out a few days earlier there was no real growth on them, some shoots showing however nothing that was more then 1/2 inch, most less.

Would suggest Autumn fruiting varieties for the simple reason they are easier to look after = they grow, they fruit, you cut them down. No added complications of this years and last years canes.

Autumn fruiting ones do not need netting either as the birds do not eat them.  I like tem also because you get the fruit when most other soft fruit is finished.

arh

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 13:19 »
I planted mine last October and there is still no sign of life, I think that they are dead, I had a funny feeling that they wouldn't be any good. Time to find some more I guess. arh.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 13:49 »
I planted mine last October and there is still no sign of life, I think that they are dead, I had a funny feeling that they wouldn't be any good. Time to find some more I guess. arh.

It may be worth giving them another week or 2.  Mine are only just sprouting.  I'm sure we had the same discussion last year with a few people who planted the previous autumn and most came good in the end  :)

arh

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 17:02 »
Thank you New Shoot, I'll leave them for now, Black Currants are no better so a little patience me thinks.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 23:38 »
You can certainly plant them yet. But when they will fruit, is another, unasked question here.

You can plant them by all means, but for fruit this year you will be be more successful with autumn ones.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Raspberries and strawberries - too late to plant?

Started by mike86 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 23:48
by gavinjconway
xx
Raspberries too late?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 15:26
by woodburner
xx
Summer Raspberries - Too Late?

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 14:28
by braders1234
xx
raspberries - how to plant

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 13:58
by DD.

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 39 queries.