New grapevine owner

• 2 Replies

Gosh718

New grapevine owner
« on: July 17, 2016, 16:16 »
Hello everyone,
I have fairly new grapevines(2 vines) and are approx 3 years old and I am a new Gardner . Last year I let the vines grow wild on my fence(didn't know any better) and only had only about 5 grapes. I cut them back drastically down to the truck in winter. This year I put up a support system that has 3 PVC posts, 3 wires along the back and one wire on the T for a total of 4 wire system that is approx 20 ft long. I am training them to grow on all 3 wires (triple cordon) and would like them to drape over the 4 Th wire. Not sure if this is good for growing. I have one white concord and the other is purple. I have no clusters or flowers at all and we are end of July already. I'm not sure what to trim, what to keep and let grow in order to produce fruit. Kindly advise.. Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New grapevine owner
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 21:41 »
Welcome to the site  :D

How is New York?  Old York is doing well  :lol:

I have no direct experience of grape vines, but here's the RHS link in case it's of any use:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=284
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Re: New grapevine owner
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:55 »
I grow mine as a double guyot which is what the commercial growers follow and this system is best suited to outdoor climates in the UK I have read. There are lots of pruning systems but the key is to let the vine grow a strong root system in its firsts few years of life. You do not want it to produce grapes during this time so remove the buds.

For the double guyout system, in winter, when you prune, select two canes coming from the crown and tie these down to the bottom wire, cut every thing else off but prune a third cane to about three buds. The crown is where all the shoots and canes come out from.

From these two canes you will get lots of spurs growing upwards and fruit buds so you will not get any fruit this year I suspect. Wind these through the upper wires. From the crown you will get lots more canes growing. In winter again at the next pruning, you will then select the best three canes grown from the crown to repeat the process.

My vine is 4/5 years old and is having its first proper season.

I'm not an expert but I would lets yours grow so it can strengthen its root system so prune in November/ December. Also your vine will bleed heavily if you prune old wood in the growing season.

I'll post some pictures of mine if I get a chance before I go on holiday.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:05 by Mr Rotavator »

xx
What Grapevine?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 12:31
by She'sinthegarden
xx
Grapevine

Started by Ellex on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 17:19
by Ellex
clip
Grapevine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 23:54
by Aunt Sally
clip
Grapevine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 19:22
by jambop

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 39 queries.