how tall does sweetcorn grow ?

• 20 Replies

SG6

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 19:36 »
Close to where I work there was a field of sweetcorn. They were about 6-7ft high, but varieties will differ.

As said plant in blocks. Sweetcorn pollinate by dropping pollen from the flowers that are at the top of the plant. The pollen gets distributed by the wind. So if in a row there is little chance of good pollination. In many instances the wind will simply blow the pollen away from the row.

I believe that each kernel needs to get pollinated so the best chance for this is if it is in a block. And the bigger the better - have you got a field :D  :D

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 20:13 »
i plant the three sisters bed ,sweetcorn in a block with a climbing french bean growing up the corn and a pumpkin underneath , i think the bean feeds the corn and so on it was on gardeners world a few yrs ago, tried sweetcorn this way and sweetcorn just in a block one yr and the sweetcorn planted in the 3 sisters bed produced more jan :)

alfman

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13 »
Hi Garddwr, I've grown sweetcorn for years but only the varieties from the usual seed merchants and they've all been over 6ft. Considering they don't go outside till the end of may/june, the sun is pretty high then and doesn't cast much shadow and cause much of a problem. Just leave about 18" before your next crop. :)

greg.t

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 20:54 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Hi Greg,

last year I planted Sweetcorn - Applause F1. Will defo try them again this year and hopefully have a better summer so I get more ripe cobs.

had an ok (ish) crop and far better than the year before when using wilko specials..

thanks for the reply was thinking of trying northern F1 supposed to be better suited to our area? the summer could'nt be worse than last or could it... :?

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:15 »
I tried sweetcorn for the first time last year. The variety was Bodacious F1. These were grown in blocks, each plant 16ins apart and produced about 2 cobs per plant. Being on an open site with plenty of wind, pollination was no problem, but i did hear that to help pollination you should shake the plant daily. This year will be growing Courgette in between the plants to save space.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

rawbinood

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 16:36 »
I believe some of the newer F1 commercial varieties grow shorter (from 4ft to around 6ft) to put effort into producing cobs while the older heritage types grow very tall.

xx
How tall will my peas grow?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 12:55
by Auntiemogs
xx
How tall do sprouts grow?

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 08:05
by pdblake
xx
Cucumbers. How tall do they grow?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:19
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
How tall do Broad beans grow?

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 14:20
by Dotty

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 38 queries.